Guess I'm going to be a rat "foster grandma"....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't take baby pictures from Day 7 (yesterday) because of our move, but I will be taking pictures of the babies today (Day 8) and will hopefully post them later (providing I can keep this wireless connection from a neighbor) :p.

Ohh...and two babies from Mint's litter are going to their new home tomorrow (if the person doesn't sketch out). It will either be Mint & a daughter or 2 baby boys. Two baby girls are still reserved for a lady for her daughter for Christmas :D.

No pictures, yet. I've been busy...this weekend has been flying by!

I wanted to update on some names for the babies. I am keeping all 4 boys and 2-3 girls along with Spice (the mom). Ryan wants to hit me :p.

Boys...

* Harper (one of the white boys?).
* Jack (the capped baby with the head spot)
* Tucker (one of the white boys?)
...and I'll need to think of one more name for the black berkshire baby boy.

Girls (still deciding if I like these names)...

* Maple (not sure which one, yet).
* Cider (not sure which one, yet).

:)

undergunfire wrote:
I am keeping all 4 boys and 2-3 girls along with Spice (the mom). Ryan wants to hit me :p.
Why am I not surprised at this?

I think its great that you hae such an attachment to them and if you take care of them yourself and can afford them - good for you! Ryan has his interests and you have your rats....seems only fair to me!

JadeIcing wrote:
I say all!:biggrin2:
I don't think I can handle keeping ALL of them, lol ;).

Peg....you are so right. Thank you :D.

I just got home from Ryan's band's show and went in to check on the baby rats. I noticed it yesterday, but I didn't think anything of it. Spice keeps putting one baby out of the nest. They are old enough now that they won't get cold, but I still worry about it. The baby is a female black berkshire. I really hope the baby is okay. Maybe she keeps forgetting the baby when she moves her nest around? I am not even sure if it is the same baby, as I have 4 black berkshire baby girls. I am going to check back in there in a while, to see if she has done it again. I am not sure what I can do, if she does do it again :?.

Can you put a dot in the baby's ear with a pen or something? So you can make sure you know if it is the same one or not?

Yeah, I could probably do that, Peg :). She hasn't seperated any babies since the last time I posted it. So, I am not sure what she was doing :p.

I took pictures of them just a little while ago. I have someone coming soon to take home two babies from Mint's litter, so I will post them after that.

All of the babies from Mint's litter have sucessfully found new homes! The last two girls leave today :D!! It is such a good feeling knowing they went to good homes instead of a snake's belly.

You guys are going to DIE when you see Spice's litter. They are ADORABLE! They should open their eyes any day now, as they are 13 days old today. Sorry, I've been slow on the pictures. I am terrible at posting them.

Here are their pictures from Day 10...

Tucker:
l_0169ee7fa069400d94d58ec1ce92e8af.jpg

Sleeping baby boy...
l_96c53d16a92c465b835bb5c4dd0eade1.jpg

Group shot...
l_6465ddc7a5b24b53a21ec6bffdff75ef.jpg

Pile of babies...
l_0a14cb161bc44a73b7794d6aa0929aed.jpg

I have more on my myspace, so you can look at the pictures if you want to see more: www.myspace.com/xundergunfire

I have taken pictures of the babies yesterday, on Day 12, and I will post them later.

I thought Tucker was going to be a black berksire, but he is really all black with white socks! I have always wanted a black Rex....and now I have one :biggrin2:!!

I think the boys will be named: Tucker, Jack (black capped w/head spot), Harper (one of the white ones), and Aslan (the other white one) :).

Two girls will be Cider & Maple, but I am unsure about more names because I am not sure who I am keeping :p.

Here is baby pictures from yesterday (Day 12) :)...

3133496215_c75bf3ba58_o.jpg

3133495875_1db2a8597c_o.jpg

3133495549_1f59c5b862_o.jpg

3134316392_f1c5447118_o.jpg

3134316064_b6a85ac2d0_o.jpg

3133494049_79021fd445_o.jpg

3134321866_096a646aa7_o.jpg

3134318092_f38fb41ce5_o.jpg

3134325182_b8ae30cd3b_o.jpg

This is Tucker sleeping in my hand....
3134323816_746d9d82b7_o.jpg

3134323532_08bb4f45cb_o.jpg

Random baby girl...
3134322938_078fc24048_o.jpg

Baby girl letting me rub her belly...
3134322166_8c05a43905_o.jpg

Baby girl grooming her face...
3134322752_6f1a492580_o.jpg

Baby girl sucking on her foot...
3134322440_10c0dd67fd_o.jpg

White baby...
3134316862_96f408dcc5_o.jpg

3133495019_537f366ace_o.jpg

3133496725_4f2fcf5d04_o.jpg

Jack...
3134318762_6b8f79e61a_o.jpg

Tucker...
3134318560_faee50eb03_o.jpg

Aren't they just soooooo cute :biggrin2:?!

AMY! They are precious! Jack is adorable! and Tucker - is that curly sort of hair on him? and that baby girl..... they are killing me!

So Ralphie is the daddy?!? YAY!

How could anyone not fall in love with that little girl sucking on her toe! That's the cutest thing :hearts:

Yep....Ralphie is the daddy! I don't think Louie is, as well, because I don't see dumbo ears on any of the babies. I guess this is a good thing because I wouldn't have wanted the babies to have Louie's weak immune system. Louie was from Petco, not the best genes in that pool. Ralphie's old human said he was from a pet store that got their stock from a local feeder breed in Phoenix and Spice's old human said she was from the local pet store who also got their stock from a feeder breeder in Phoenix. So....they may have more of a chance of beeder health because I find a lot of feeder breeders actually breed for certain types of rats on the side...for fun. So, we will see!

The babies are 2 weeks old today!

I marked some babies with Sharpies last night, so I could tell them apart. I will have to take pictures of those certain babies later and label them with numbers until I pick out names.

Speaking of that, I am having a hard time chosing my babies that I want to keep. I know I am keeping all 4 boys, the black capped standard girl, the PEW rex girl....but the little black berk girls are too hard to chose from...because they all have wonderful personalities. I don't know how I will rehome any of these babies....they would really have to be special people, preferably from the rat forum, but it is hard to find people in AZ...most members are from the midwest or Cali.

The babies are already licking my fingers. One of the black berk girls is VERY licky.

Ohhhh, I just love them all. I just think 7 girls in a Critter Nation is too many, the number "allowed" is 6. If I could just rehome a pair of girls or one girl with someone on the goosemoose rat forums, then I would be content.

Well, good news!

The lady, her daughter, her son, and her daughter's boy friend came over today at 11am to pick up the last two girls from Mint's litter. They had a new decent sized cage for the 2 girls and were VERY interested in every thing I had to say about rats. They are keeping them on the homemade food mixture and will be coming back to me for more hammocks when they need them! They also will update me.

AAAAND....I brought out Spice's babies and they picked out two black berkshire girls to take home in 2 weeks! They picked out the baby with white variegated patterned sides that is rex furred and another baby with high white sides who is a standard furred.

I am very happy about this because these people were sooo nice, but sad to see them go. Funny thing is, the son of the lady wasn't interested in rats until I pulled out the babies....he fell in love with the standard furred girl and held him in his hands the whole time...the little girl fell asleep and was sucking on the skin on his hand!

It is hard to let these babies go. I don't think I will be rehoming anymore of them. I will keep the last 4 girls, Spice, and 4 baby boys.

They also asked if all 4 girls could be inside of the cage they brought, but it was only large enough for 2 girls. I showed them the new Critter Nation and told her it was $150 at PetSmart and she said it is something they will think about in the future for all the girls!!

Latest posts

Back