Grunting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle89

Reaction score
As you might already know, I just had my female rabbit, Daphne spayed. I also have a neutered male rabbi along with Daphne and I have their cages right next to eachother. Well, now Daphne is repeatedly making these grunting noises at Tameka and they are both laying next to eachother in their own cages. So what does all of this mean? If anyone has any ideas, I would LOVE to hear from you!:)

Thanks

She sounds a very vocal lady.

She has been spayed, however, it can take months for the hormones to fully die, she that is probably playing an element. I have unspayed does who are very vocal with other rabbits, and you might find, when her hormones die, she becomes quiet.

If they are comfortable enough to lie together, that indicates that it's not a grunt of fear, anger, etc. Unless when she grunts she behaves differently from that? Maybe ears down facing him? Or wide eyed and cowering or something?

Having said that, some rabbits are generally more vocal, so she could just be communicating with him in her own little way. How do they behave with each other, other than lying together?

Well up until I had Daphne spayed she always had her ears standing up and now that shes spayed, her ears are only up when she is by Tameka. Before she was fixed, if the 2 bunnies were together all they would do was mount eachother. I havent had them out of their cages together since Daphne was fixed because I dont want her to wrip open the stictches.

Do you think I should let them play together now or should I still wait?

Is there a chance that I will ever be able to have the 2 of them live together?

Ill take whatever help I can get with these 2. I dont want anything to go wrong with my 2 babies.:)

Don't put them together until 3-4 weeks after her operation. She's had big surgery so needs to feel ok.

If her ears are up to him, then that's good, if they are down, that's not great. So that sounds good.

You have as much chance to bond them as any rabbits. Before you start read all you can about bonding about the things you can do. Like when she is about 10 or so days after surgery, you can start to swap the contents of their cages so they get used to the other's smell in their territory, a bit further alone, yuo can swap cages and alternate daily, things like that, as well as giving them small meetings.

Ask as many questions as you want to, the more you ask and the more you research, the more you will learn :)

Well, it has now been 9 days since Daphne's surgery so Im thinking about introducing them this weekend. However, I am concerned about doing so because Daphne still is acting really weird with me. I cant go near her without her grunting and trying to attack me. This is nothing like her. I knew I would have to earn her trust back but I guess I wasnt expecting it to be this difficult.I have been working with her daily but nothing seems to be working. I use treats, I talk to her, I even just sit on the floor with her cage door open and she wont come near me...:cry2

Do you go to her smelling like him? If so, that could be part of it. I wouldn't wear what you wore with him around her for now. Give her some time, she might just surprise you.;)

Actually, I go in by her before I go near the male because I dont want to smell like him and he actually couldnt care less if I smell like her. He doesnt care as long as he still gets attention.:)

Latest posts

Back