Growth Rate Question (5 Month Old Bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly09

Reaction score
I have a question about my 5 month old rabbit Gracie. I am worried that her growth was/is slowed by her health problems she has had over the past month. For more info about those read here

Her mother was about 6lbs, her dad maybe 4-5lbs (not sure exactly). At just over 5 months Gracie is at 2 lbs and 9 oz. I have read that at 6 months old the rabbit should be about full grown size. Gracie was not the runt of the litter and was about the same size as her siblings.

I have been feeding her unlimited pellets, timothy hay and orchard grass. About a packed cup of green leafy vegetables and 2 tablespoons of fruit a day.

I have never fed her alfalfa but my sister suggested I start. I was wondering what you guys thought? Any opinions or suggestions would be great!

Does she physically feel underweight? if you run your hand over her back you should not be able to easily feel her spine. if you can feel her spine then I personally would stop feeding the veggies and fruits and continue just giving pellets and hay.

I have a question about my 5 month old rabbit Gracie. I am worried that her growth was/is slowed by her health problems she has had over the past month. For more info about those read here

Her mother was about 6lbs, her dad maybe 4-5lbs (not sure exactly). At just over 5 months Gracie is at 2 lbs and 9 oz. I have read that at 6 months old the rabbit should be about full grown size. Gracie was not the runt of the litter and was about the same size as her siblings.

I have been feeding her unlimited pellets, timothy hay and orchard grass. About a packed cup of green leafy vegetables and 2 tablespoons of fruit a day.

I have never fed her alfalfa but my sister suggested I start. I was wondering what you guys thought? Any opinions or suggestions would be great!
---medical concerns seem to pop up--you could weigh her daily--for weight gain/health,etc.- here is a medical link that should clear up some concerns http://www.medirabbit .com --poops are also a concern/cecos,etc.--breed / species of rabbit-plays into size weight,,--sincerely james waller :love::biggrin2::bunny16

You could add a little alfalfa since she's still young. Like woahlookitsme said, if she doesn't feel underweight then maybe she'll just be small for her age/breed. If you think she needs to add weight then you could add some rolled oats to her pellets. You can get them at the grocery store. Get the old fashioned kind, not the 1 minute kind.

I had a rabbit that had medical problems when he was young as well, it stunted his growth and made him smaller than he would normally be. Nothing wrong with his health he was just smaller because of what happened. What woahlookitsme said is great information take that into consideration.

Latest posts

Back