Growing your own greens and grasses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
I've been thinking of setting up some 'gardens' for my bunny in polystyrene boxes, including growing cocksfoot (also called orchard grass or cat grass) which I plan to let bunny nibble on as well as cutting longer stuff and drying it out.

As for greens I'm thinking of sowing plants like flat leaf parsley, basil, arugula (rocket), bok choy but what other kind of plants can I grow that can be harvested often (few leaves at a time), can be grown in a box (gardens have poor soil) and don't take forever to grow.

Anyone have bunny gardens?

I have an indoor bunny garden at the moment bc it's the middle of winter in the states. I'm having success with thyme, oregano, radishes, zinnia, dill, parsley, mint, and cilantro. I hope to start an outdoor garden this spring too :).
The herbs grow fast and benefit from frequent harvesting so you might have luck with them.
Hope that helps :biggrin:

I would love to grow some lavender in the house! My rabbit Buster loves his lavender!:)
I have tried growing basil and it got a fungus so I threw it out, but it did get very large so it would provide a lot of leaves.

I have a big garden come spring/summer and am looking forward to planting new crops.
I get all my veggies from the supermarket but Buster can taste the difference. This summer I had an excessive crop of celery and I didn't like it, it was so strong! So I gave it to Buster and he LOVED it! But whenever I get celery from the supermarket he won't touch it. There is definitely a taste difference! I am going to try planting some indoor cilantro, maybe it will save me some money :D

Cilantro is easy as anything. So is parsley. Q-tip also stole my basil and mint plants. So easy to plant inside.

How do those herbs do outside? I have a couple of boxes I've been thinking of planting for Harvey when the weather gets a little better.

I grew curly parsley and basil in simple pots on my patio (live in an apt in Los Angeles, limited space).

My buns loved the fresh herbs; my cat loved to sleep, curled up on the parsley :?

Wasn't even aware that mint was ok to feed a bun as I know growing up in Oregon my Mom would have a hissy fit if it showed up in her garden as it is such a "Weed". May try that one next spring as well.

Good thread topic.

We have a small hydroponics set up next to the rabbits which we grow wheat grass in it. Our bunnies love it. We started small (finances) but since we have been so successful, we are planning to expand our inhouse hydroponics set up.

This summer we grew baby carrots, which the boys loved. Also parsley, cilantro, basil, and strawberries. We plan on making the garden bigger this year and putting more greens like kale, arrugula, and others (garden still in the planning stage).

I think it's an excellent idea for a "bunny garden". Please keep us informed.

Thanks for starting this thread.

K :)

MagPie I couldn't see why you couldn't have an outside garden, your weather seems quite similar to that in my area and as long as they're protected from frosts or cold and heavy dew most things should grow.

My list so far includes Bok Choy, Coriander (Cilantro), Sweet Basil, Flat Leaf Pasley, Rocket and Orchard Grass. I also plan on giving other greens and veges but want to save a bit by growing my own. When I start the gardens I'll be sure to get photos, just need to order some seeds first

I grow flowers hydroponically for my buns. They love eating the flowers as healthy treats. I grow lavender, snapdragons, pot maragolds, and poo there's one more I can't remember what it is.

In the summer I grow herbs and vegetables for them. Spring and fall grow greens. I also pull weeds out of the yard too. It's weird, but in the winter I buy dandilions from Texas! (from the grocery store)

Thanks Toady. Yeah the weather is generally pretty mild in the winter and hot in the summer. I also have limited space living in an apartment, so I have two planter boxes. I might try some flowers and see how he likes them. Are pansies ok?

Oooh good, I thought I might have seen it somewhere. I have one lone pansey that replanted intself from a couple of winters ago. Now is it just the flower or the leaves too that he could eat?

If you look around you should be able to find spring greens and salad mixes that contain things like rocket. Grasses and weeds like dandelion grow well too, I have a large thistle that self seeded and I pulled leaves off almost daily for several months.

Strawberries are great for growing in tubs and the leaves are nice and fibrous. You also don't need to keep resowing.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Used to grow flats of wheat grass when we live in CA. Could cut it and let it grow back.

My bunnies love wheat grass. Unfortunately in the Northeast we don't have that climate like California. We do hydroponics. That works well for us. But unfortunately there are periods where we have to wait until grow. We only have one station, and it's small. But we are planning a larger closet so we can have greens for the bunnies and ourselves all year around. They have come a long way with this process.

K :)

i am very lucky that i work in a herb nursery, so always picking a mixture of plant for the rabbits supper. i also grow trays of grass and have a selection terracotta pots full of their favourites.
it's a great way to spoil them :hug2:

Latest posts

Back