Groucho is neutered... now what?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Groucho got neutered yesterday and I will be picking him up today after work. He stayed the night at the vet and is going back to the Humane Society until I get off work and can pick him up. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do/not do while he is healing after his neutering. Do you know how long it will take him to recover? I'm also going to ask the bunny coordinator at the Humane Society but I thought I'd post it here too!

Let me know if you have any tips/advice to help us out. Thanks!

Let him rest w/o jumping around for about a week. If he got pain meds, give them to him, if not, ask for some. Keep an eye on him until he eats, drinks, poos, and pees normally. If he doesn't do these things within 18-24 hours, he needs to go back in to the vet. You can ice the sacs 2-3 times a day for 10 min at a time with an ice pack wrapped in a towel. Alternately, you can give him a sock filled with uncooked rice and heated in the microwave for a few minutes as a warm rest (he may not want this). Check daily for swelling, redness, or issues with the stitches/surgical glue. He should be out of anesthesia by the time you get there, but keep him confined to an area he can't jump in that's dark and quiet (cage w/ towel on top is good) until he eats etc.

Keep us updated if he doesn't bounce back quickly, but I bet he will. He looks healthy and young, and boys do much better after neuter than girls after spay. Good luck!

Groucho seems to be doing great. He has TONS of energy and is running around, wanting to jump on things. Should I let him jump on things after about a week? No sooner? He loves to jump up on the couch and chairs and I took the chairs away and put an x-pen around the couch so he's looking around for other things he can jump on. He's recovering great though :) Next is litterbox training, yay

I would wait a week and make sure that it looks mostly healed before you let him jump a lot. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Latest posts

Back