Grooming tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aozora

Amy, Member
Reaction score
Mocha has started shedding heavily the past week or so and I've been grooming him daily with the Zoom Groom brush, which is amazing and really gets a lot of fur out, but I'm having trouble with the grooming process itself because Mocha does not like to be groomed at all. He would tolerate it for a couple of strokes and then try numerous times to whirl around and bite me, so I'd have to resort to holding his head down to finish grooming. Sometimes he'd settle down once I've got his head pressed, but other times he puts up a big fight and keeps trying to push my hand away so he can give me a good hard chomp.

Does anyone else have similar problems when grooming and if you do, how did you manage to resolve it? Or do you have good grooming tips in general? The Youtube videos I see always has the buns sitting perfectly calmly when they're being groomed, but mine isn't the case at all.

And for anyone who uses the Zoom Groom brush as well, how do you get all the fur off the brush once you're done? I'm a bit leery of rinsing it under the tap because I don't want the sink to clog up with his fur, but since the brush works by the principle of using static, the fur comes off of Mocha's coat very easily but by the same token can be super hard to get off the brush and into the trash because it just keeps clinging to the little rubber spikes.

Have you tried covering your rabbit's face up with like a handtowel or something? You could also do a bunny burrito and only unwrap parts of him at one time so that you can brush them. Offering treats can help too.

As for cleaning the brush, you could always try one of those hair stoppers they have for drains

I personally found that the zoom groom pulls at their fur a lot, Sophie hated being brushed with that thing and so I stopped using it. I ended up using a stiff bristles brush and also doing a lot of hand plucking with damp hands to get the fur under control. To get the fur off the zoom groom just make your hand wet, then pull the fur off, roll it between both hands until it clumps together, then throw it out or put it into your compost bin.

Buster is a pain to groom too. As soon as he sees the brush coming he zooms across the room. When he's going through a major shed I ask for help. Someone holds him and I brush as quickly as I can. He hates it but it needs to be done. He tolerates petting very well so most of the time ill spray my hand with water and give him a bunny massage. It gets a lot if the loose hair. I also pick while I pet. All of that seems to work in preventing him from eating too much fur. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm going to try the dampening my hands with water and see if that helps first-- I've tried a couple other brushes before the Zoom Groom and they were both 1) hard to clean and 2) didn't get much fur out at all, so I'll probably just try to be more gentle with the Zoom Groom and use a bit of water to help get some of the loose fur out when I pet him.

Latest posts

Back