Grooming techniques

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer1111

Reaction score
i have a bun that’s losing her baby floof. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on helping my bun (and my house) with the shedding process?

Thank you for responding! I should’ve been more thorough with my question: I have a hair buster comb for her and she does allow me to brush her back side with it. The problem is her underside. Im scared to even attempt brushing her underside because I’m scared I might unintentionally hurt her. I’ve noticed here lately that her poops are connected by fur.. which from my understanding, she’s intaking too much fur.
Damp hands, huh? Just shake off the water off my hands and “comb” her underbelly with my fingers? She does allow me to pat her underside but I’ve honestly never rubbed it. I’ve went very slow with petting anything but her head and cheeks because I didn’t want her to get scared. Our bond is a pretty good one, considering she’s only 4 months old. At 51 days she jumped on my lap, 53 days she “purred” on my lap and at 59 days, she flopped as I was petting her.
i Just don’t want to scare her or break the trust she’s given me in any way but she needs help with her fur… she just doesn’t realize it.

Yes, slightly damp hands will pick up fur more than dry hands. If you have a water spay bottle, just lightly mist your hand with it then rub on the other hand as well, or dip a hand in water and rub the water onto the other hand. You don't have to comb through the fur with your fingers, just rub over the top of the fur. Then to get the fur off your hands, rub your hands together and it'll roll into a clump you can then more easily remove. Just go slowly to gauge how accepting she'll be of it.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Grooming
Poops strung together with thin threads of fur with decent spacing between the poops, is fairly normal during a shed and usually doesn't result in any digestive problems. It's when there starts to be thicker threads and clumps stringing the fur together, that there's more risk. Good hay consumption is one of the best ways to minimize the risk (along with normal fluid consumption), as fiber helps stimulate motility and keep contents moving through the gut, along with grooming to remove the loose fur.

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops

Latest posts

Back