Grooming day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have watch other people doing his claws and it look so easy. It totally change when I have to do it alone. If another person holds him, he will be still but not when I do it alone.

I place him up on the table and try to hold him in one place. Then I fight to get his paw and him not pulling away. The back paws are the easiest to trim but front paws he’s more flexible.

At least he don’t bite or try to scratch, he will just slink away or jump up towards me and try to climb over my shoulder to jump away. So I have to be ready to catch him. He will also hide his paws, pressing them to his cheeks or hide them under his head.

I’m scared I will break his paws if I try to force them to come forward. So I’m extremely careful when handling the front paws.
That's what I worry with Trixie too. They are so fast to pull away from you that all it takes is a split second for them to really hurt themselves. Just the other day, I had to check Trixie's teeth because she had broken a bottom one a few days prior and she would just NOT let me take a look. She would quickly jerk her head back and it would make me nervous that she would turn the wrong way and hurt her neck. I'll have to wait until she's fat and happy after a meal and try again tonight. Such troublemakers I tell you lol.

That's what I worry with Trixie too. They are so fast to pull away from you that all it takes is a split second for them to really hurt themselves. Just the other day, I had to check Trixie's teeth because she had broken a bottom one a few days prior and she would just NOT let me take a look. She would quickly jerk her head back and it would make me nervous that she would turn the wrong way and hurt her neck. I'll have to wait until she's fat and happy after a meal and try again tonight. Such troublemakers I tell you lol.

That’s why Toste and Lilja are such sweethearts when it come to handle them. They can try to jump away but I can just correct their posture and they will stay still again. While Odin will just do whatever he wants. He really hate trimming his claws and having black claws and really fluffy paws make it 100% harder. At least Odin pulp have gone back to the proper length.

I noticed that even though it went fast trimming Odins claws at the pet shop they never trimmed it short enough. So it just became longer and longer and I didn’t want to run to the pet shop every other week. It cost too much money on the long run.

I’m planing to buy a grinder and see if it will make it easier to trim the claws of my bunnies.

That’s why Toste and Lilja are such sweethearts when it come to handle them. They can try to jump away but I can just correct their posture and they will stay still again. While Odin will just do whatever he wants. He really hate trimming his claws and having black claws and really fluffy paws make it 100% harder. At least Odin pulp have gone back to the proper length.

I noticed that even though it went fast trimming Odins claws at the pet shop they never trimmed it short enough. So it just became longer and longer and I didn’t want to run to the pet shop every other week. It cost too much money on the long run.

I’m planing to buy a grinder and see if it will make it easier to trim the claws of my bunnies.
I'm glad to hear that his quick went back to its normal length! Odin has some fast growing claws then. Trixie's takes about a month before hers start getting long again.

Never heard of using a grinder before. Let me know how it works for you and which kind you used!

I'm glad to hear that his quick went back to its normal length! Odin has some fast growing claws then. Trixie's takes about a month before hers start getting long again.

Never heard of using a grinder before. Let me know how it works for you and which kind you used!

Odin grow his claws really fast and they also grow weird not like all the other. They grow straight instead of growing like normal claws do. So his claws don’t wear down. Maybe it have to do with him being a runt or his claws just love being straight.

I heard people having trouble with trimming dogs claws would use a grinder. So I hope it will work well, I will fix the money for one after I’ve payed all my other expenses.

Need to take the trio to take their yearly shots and get a health check up. Also Lilja need to get a through check up, to see if we can find the cause why she chokes on her food. So it will empty my wallet again, every time I will have a bit of money it end up going to the trio.

Last edited:
I found that the wire brushes for the dollar store(i know I couldn't believe it either) actually works great on all of my rabbits! I have 3 dutch which have thick, soft, short fur, I have a polish which have short soft fur, and I have a short-haired Jersy wooly which is a rare variation of a Jersy wooly with semi-long soft hair! I also have a dutch short-haired Jersy wooly mix. The brush I have is the one with the yellow rim. At first, I wondered if the wire would hurt them but all of them love it and it acts as a back scratcher!
upload_2020-3-14_11-48-7.jpeg

Latest posts

Back