Grooming buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccalyn7

Reaction score
Okay so it's currently almost summer here is Australia,
My rabbit is moulting like , so badly, my clothes are coated in it.

How do I groom my rabbit,
At the moment, I brush her on my lap so I can hold her.
But I know she doesn't like to be held for a long period of time.

How do I brush her,
Is there a special way to do it to get the best results?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My bun is a dwarf lop, 15 months old

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I'm a fairly new rabbit owner also going through my first big molt so others may know more, but so far what I have found works best is a wire brush. I also use one of those sticky tape lint rollers after I'm done brushing and fluffing to pick up loose fur. I also use it on my clothes! I'm vacuuming their hutch about every other day to pick up the fur they shed too.

My vet recommended a flea comb for my bunny during his molting stage. It works better than the other combs and brushes that I've tried. I know they make a mini furminator de-shedding tool that you can use on smaller animals, but those run about 30$ USD. When I groom Winston, I take him next to the window, or outside, and let his fur fly away so it doesn't end up back in my house or on my clothes!

I posted a reply to this thread before, but I wanted to give an update. I have a Zoom Groom brush which my buns never used to let me use on them, but today I tried it again and they let me use it for a while. It worked really well at getting the fur out. Also, the "wire" brush I mentioned before I think is actually called a pin brush. That still works good, but I was kind of amazed at how much the Zoom Groom got today (it's made for cats by the way).

My buns will only let me brush them at pellet feeding time. So twice a day, I get their bowl of pellets and a kitten slicker brush, and get to work as they stuff their faces. Pellets are more important to them so they don't seem to mind the brushing so much!

Back