Grinding - not sure if pain or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
I've been a little unsure of this for a while, so I figured I may as well ask.

Almost every day, maybe once or twice a day, Bandit does loud tooth grinding. By loud, I mean that he's in one corner of the room, and I'm in the other 5 + meters away and I can hear him.Everything I've read keeps telling me that loud grinding indicates pain, so naturally I've been a bit worried about it, but he often does it when he's all flopped out and looking very relaxed (no hunched posture, doesn't look uncomfortable etc). At first I noticed it around the time I got home from work every day, and I was worried that perhaps he was eating his pellets too quickly earlier in the day, so I split his 1/4 cup pellets into two meals, but nothing has changed.

His behaviour is completely normal, a very happy, hoppy bunny. He tends to spend the middle of the day 11am-4pm sleeping/lounging/munching hay in his condo which is often when I hear the grinding. Every time I go and check on him though, he seems fine. So I'm wondering whether Bandit might just grind loudly sometimes when he's relaxing/happy. If I'm petting him he does very soft tooth purring, which definitely sounds different, but I can't find any other indicators of pain/illness from the other grinding.

As an example, a few minutes ago he was sprawled out lounging, I heard him grind loudly, a few minutes later he got up to groom for a moment and followed that up with a bunny flop. Not exactly the behaviour of an unhappy bunny if you ask me.

I'm just wondering what other people think.

Some general info:
Bandit weighs approx 3kg or 6.5 pounds. 2 and a bit years old, neutered. Unlimited meadow hay, 1/4 cup oxbow adult pellets daily split into two meals. Handful of fresh greens daily, mostly herbs (grinding can happen whether I feed these or not).

My snowy does a very loud tooth grind when i pet her, I'm pretty positive its a purr yours might be too! She shows no sign of discomfort and is very happy other wise.

Nope that doesn't seem like painful grinding. I've heard my rabbits do that on occasion too. If everything else seems normal with him I wouldnt worry too much. Maybe it's just his odd little quirk.

I understand your concern, especially when its a new behaviour. You know your bun best. If he's acting normal in all other ways, he's probably fine.

Now, having said that, I would probably check out his teeth, just to make sure there isn't a spur or something thats causing more noise when he's tooth purring. Im not sure if that can happen but Im paranoid, so thats the first thing I think of.

I don't think it's especially new, but I can't really recall when it started either. It's one of those things that just sort of creeps up and you realise it's been happening a bit. At his check-up in January the vet said she was seeing the start of a potential spur, but she said it would be fine if I used a coarser hay, which I have been and he's showing no trouble eating hay or pellets at all.

And just as I'm typing he's doing it again, while in a dead bunny flop, so surely he's not in pain. Thanks for all the feedback, I don't think he's in pain, it's just not something you expect is a positive sound.

If he isn't belly pressing or showing any other signs of pain or discomfort, I would be inclined to think he is just a loud contented tooth purrer/chatterer. I have some buns that chatter quite loudly when very content.

Latest posts

Back