Grieving for my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubykins

Reaction score
Hi , I'm very very sad today I lost my Rubykins. He had surgery on an internal lump, mass today , the vet called while Ruby was under to say the abscess was huge and wrapped around his windpipe ,salivary glands ,his right eye nerve and went through to his shoulder. It was impossible to remove without damaging nerves and affecting his quality of life. So I had to say yes to putting him to sleep. I know my vet tried and did his best but I feel so sad,.he was a house bunny, roamed free inside and was hardly ever in his cage. I have him home with us now, wrapped in blanket with flowers and have him lying in his favorite spot in lounge room. My partner and I are so upset, anyone got some idea how we say goodbye. We are going to bury him at home outside under a tree. I know we did everything possible but this abscess was causing him to not eat, cough,choke and lose weight. The vet said it had been growing inside for a while and deep inside behind windpipe , just didn't show up till 3 weeks ago. It's been so stressful, emotional and such sadness now. RIP Rubykins xo

I'm so sorry for your loss, it seems you did everything you could since you weren't to know that there was one there before hand. Best wishes.

Poor Ruby, what a brave bunny to hold on for so long, he must've known how much you loved him~
Grieving is so hard to "regulate" you just have to go through your own process to heal. I remember when my Ernie passed, I was destroyed for days. Never been so heartbroken over a pet before. I ended up getting Ernie cremated and had a tuft of her fur placed in a small plastic baggie, I had a picture developed and once her redwood box came back I made a little area on my bookshelf and put her there. I would walk around the house or anywhere else I happened to be and would say to my husband "I miss my Ernie Bunny" and he was say he missed her too. It helped having him to talk to. Eventually the sadness goes away and you start feeling better, but take your time and grieve however you feel necessary. It will get better, I think everyone here on RO will agree that the pain doesn't last forever, although right now, it probably feels like it will. Take comfort knowing you did the VERY best thing you could do for Ruby, unfortunately for you you had no time to prepare for the outcome, so be nice to yourself for the next few days, weeks etc. I'm thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

Really sorry to read your sad post. What a brave little bun and we and he all know you did your best for him, don't feel bad or guilty or anything negative about how you are feeling it's up to you how you grieve and everyone does it differently I get destroyed when my animals pass on and how do deal with is up to you needless today we are thinking of you and we are all like minded so understand

We're so sorry for your loss. We try to pick a a spot we think they would have liked when we bury our lost ones and put in a few of their toys and wrap them in a blanket. It's the pits having to say goodbye. Rest in peace little man and binky free.

Thank you for your support, it means a lot to read those posts right now, I know you all understand my grief as bunny lovers. He was such a dear little companion to me and my partner. I'm going to bury him with all the favorite things he loved to eat. I don't want to say goodbye today ,I've been stroking his little head wishing he'd wake up. thanks again everyone for your understanding.

I lost my love bunny, Marilyn, in April, and it is still hard on my heart. I had her cremated, and I keep her cedar box on my dresser. I was lucky, because the vet made me a clay mold of her paw prints for me as a gift. I say hello to her every morning. She is my angel, and I love her. On Tuesday we had to put our dog, Jack, to sleep, and we had him for 15 1/2 years. I was 10 when we got him, so I had him my entire life. I am not a very sentimental person, aside from when it comes to animals.

But, enough about my grief. I just wanted to say, I can relate & let you know you are not alone. I hope you always remember that Rubykins loves you, you are a wonderful rabbit parent, and he will always be with you in your heart and mind. To love and care for an animal is one of the best things a person can do. Whenever I feel sad, or angry, I remember that I helped an animal live a very good life. Just let yourself grieve and be honest with yourself about your feelings, because that is the best thing you can do. But, if you start to feel too sad, you should talk to someone. There are a lot of great resources online about grief, and grieving over lost pets, too.

*Hugs* Thinking of you & sending you positive thoughts.

It's so terribly sad having to say goodbye to a companion animal. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know my Bethany, Peneloppy, Ainsley, and Minion will watch out for Rubykins. They're probably sharing a bowl of cilantro right now :)

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's never easy and everyone deals with it differently. There's no right or wrong way to say goodbye just whatever feels right to you.

Ruby now has a special spot in our yard, I can see it from our windows. We had a proper little funeral, buried him with all his treats, took our time before we did it at sunset. I've got a lantern with candles that I'm lighting every night. I've got a lavender plant there and going to make a nice little headstone. Thankyou everyone for your lovely messages of support it's really helped us with our loss. Xo

I'm sorry you had to lose your little guy. I'm sure he knows you loved him well! Be strong, the pain will pass *hugs*

Back