Grieving doe - any suggestions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
There is a bit of a backstory to this - so it may be a long post.

My friend Lisa babysat a doe that was being auctioned off at Lionhead Nationals last May. During the week or so that she had her - she fell in love with her...to the point that when the auction was held - she won her with a bid of over $600. Let me tell you - that is love in my opinion (along with maybe some other things...like the electric payment...the telephone bill...etc. etc.)

She finally bred Italy last month and saw a successful breeding. Last weekend (or Monday...I forget)...Italy had one baby - it was stretched out and I think she said it was pretty big. She have oxy and Pen G I think it is (to get any other babies out - and to keep Italy from having an infection).

Now before this - Italy was a spoiled rotten girl...she has tons of toys - a stuffed animal, etc. She gets lots and lots of attention and while Lisa spoils all her bunnies rotten (each one has their own song she sort of sings to them while she works with them)....Italy is particularly spoiled rotten as I think she's truly a "heart" bunny.

Italy is now grieving. She is eating and stuff - but she's just really sad. Lisa says it is like she knew she was supposed to have babies and she keeps checking her nest (I think Lisa has taken it out by now) - and that area - as if to find them.

Lisa is going to have her checked by a vet before she rebreeds her and I suspect she wants to finish a round of antibiotics with her to ward off any infections.

But it sounds like Italy is just soooo sad...what would you recommend she do? As I said, she already has a stuffed toy.....

I think Lisa is just worried about her and right now is spending more time with her to distract her (knowing Lisa - Italy is probably in her lap or on the desk half the day).

Here is a link to a photo of Italy for the auction last May:

http://www.lionhead.us/07 Auction rabbits/Italy - Shannon/3-20-07/Italy131907 r.jpg

Peg

Im so sorry, I can't help, as i've never had anything like this happen, but I just had to say... SHE IS SSOO CUTE!

I can see why she payed 600$ for her :biggrin2:!

My Mulchy was exactly like this for a few days after losing her kit. Plenty of greens and treats, time out in the sunshine and lots of love soon saw her back to her normal self, although I think it took her about a week!

Poor Italy, hope she feels better soon.

I would recomend a lot of personal attention. Carry her around, snuggle her, give her love a petting and she will come around. I have seen this before too, it just takes time.

I agree with what has already been said, love and cuddles will help, but i have another idea to add. Could she have a new cage, because she will stop looking at her nesting area, and if there are new toys and a different layout of things to her old cage, hopefully exploring it will give her a new focus until she is well enough to be re-bred.

Latest posts

Back