Greyhound Coursing - Blood Sport

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBC

Reaction score
I just viewed a horrible news video on a local tv station regarding the killing of rabbits by greyhounds (dogs) ... it appears to be a sport known as "coursing." I'm attaching the news link which includes a graphic video (I couldn't watch it all).

One of our local state assembly women, Loni Hancock will be introducing a law to ban such animal cruelty.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=i_team&id=3874872#

It not only upsets me that some people still use real rabbits for training, but it also upsets me what they are doing to these poor dogs. :(

It is banned in the UK, but people from there (as well as, other people from the U.S. where the sport is banned) fly out here to participate.

I love their logic ... one person interviewed noted that the rabbits die more humanely this way than if they were shot with bullets. I know that there is life and death out in the wild, but rabbits who are killed by their natural predators (not introduced ones) are dyinga more natural death. I don't like seeing any creature die for that matter.

These are probably some of the same people who use to go sit at the race track and bet on greyhounds chasing a mechanical rabbit around in circles ... I feel sorry for the dogs (not their fault) it's not natural, it's been drilled into them.

JBC wrote:
These are probably some of the same people who use to go sit at the race track and bet on greyhounds chasing a mechanical rabbit around in circles ... I feel sorry for the dogs (not their fault) it's not natural, it's been drilled into them.
Exactly. It's a shame that this sport is still legal.

I heard from a co-worker thatgreyhound racingis still legal in Florida ... not here in Northern California.

Imagine! You take away one horrible activity just to have someone replace it with an even worse one. Can't these people just enjoy traning these dogs to run and maybe jump over huddles or through ponds or something like that? ...

Once at a pet store I came across a gathering of people who were adopting out "retired" greyhounds. I was heartbroken to see the scars covering their bodies. And yet these people seem to think that these animals enjoy this sport. Absurd. I also noticed how calm and well behaved these animals were. They are only that way because they never had a choice. How terribly sad. :(

Although it is banned in the UK (it's called Hare coursing as hares are usually used) people are ignoring the ban, as they are with the fox hunting ban. They say it is 'their legal right' to do it. Yeah, right!

They use the same argument that it is kinder to kill the rabbit/hare/fox with dogs than shooting them. I don't know how they think that chasing a terrified animal to exhaustion, then having it ripped apart is 'kind' :mad:

And yes, greyhounds are wonderful dogs and make excellent pets (unfortunately, because of their upbringing, not suitable to house with small furries). I think it shows just how uncaring their owners are, as most of them end up being disregarded once their 'sporting' days are over!

Jan

I think any kind of "sport" that treats animals inhumanly is sick. I mean what right do we have to treat defenseless animals in that way - non at all. It makes me sick how people can get enjoyment from this. It's justmy opinion, butdon't get me started, or ill be here all night :mad:.

Vickie

DaisyNBuster wrote:
I think any kind of "sport" that treats animals inhumanly is sick. I mean what right do we have to treat defenseless animals in that way - non at all. It makes me sick how people can get enjoyment from this. It's justmy opinion, butdon't get me started, or ill be here all night :mad:.

Vickie
Ditto! even thinking of that stuff makes me want to barf! greyhound racing, roosterfighting, bullfighting, all of it! it's disgusting! Grrrrrrr! :mad:

I HATE BLOOD SPORTS! Here in the united kingdom we also have the same problem. I just hate the whole fact that these greyhound dogs are bred for racing and when they are no longer good for racing they just get chucked out on the streets. They are hard to rehome, some people dont like them because theythink they look 'odd' (who has the right to label!) and they'd rarther go for a cute fluffy dog. Greyhounds are beautiful and deserve to be treated kindly, lovinglyjust like any other animal. And as for using rabbits for them to chase..... we all know its wrong! Its not the greyhounds fault (not that any of you are blaming them) its the people who run these greyhound events........ give a dog a rabbit, cat, mouse, hamster etc to chase and they will, its in their nature.

I am hoping to start a sucessfull career in England working with animals, first in a cattery or kennels and work my way up to hopefully be an animal protection officer.

ANYONE WHO TREATS ANIMALS WITH SUCH DISRESPECT, CARELESSNESS, JUST PURE VILE ACTS/ACTIONS ARNT WORTHY OF KEEPING ANIMALS OR BEEN ANYWHERE NEAR ANIMALS!

Anyway thats my bit said.

Hope you are all ok by the way.

Catherine x :bunnydance:Animals FOREVER!

Oh my god, i just watched that video and im crying. That poor rabbit. It was scared out of its mind running for dear life. I can't believe those people just sat there and watched that. I think people that do that should be thrown in a lion's den and try to run from the hungry lions.

Latest posts

Back