Greens and calcium

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipgirl24

Reaction score
I know dark greens should be fed occasionally due to the higher calcium content. Is it OK just to feed leaf lettuce or should I feed something like spinach , kale or collards once or twice a week? I don't want my bun to be deficient. Thanks in advance!

Generally rabbits should get 3+ varieties of veggies daily.
Leaf lettuce is fine but they should get something else as well- I recommend cilantro, mint and basil for things that can be fed on a daily basis and chard, collards and kale for every so often.
Eating just leaf lettuce would be boring too probably so it's good to change it up now and then!
There's a list of safe veggies pinned on this subforum I'm pretty sure so if you want to feed other veg you can refer to that :)

edit- I also wanted to say veggies like parsely should also be fed in moderation due to oxalte content and veggies that aren't so leafy (eg bok choy) should be fed with other veggies.

Thank you odyssey. My bun may be only 6 or 7 weeks, maybe older? I probably shouldn't have fed any lettuce since I don't know when he was weaned off mom's milk. (I'm not original owner). I took on this little guy suddenly due to an urgent situation so I am trying to learn quickly! The vet said lettuce was ok.

Thank you odyssey. My bun may be only 6 or 7 weeks, maybe older? I probably shouldn't have fed any lettuce since I don't know when he was weaned off mom's milk. (I'm not original owner). I took on this little guy suddenly due to an urgent situation so I am trying to learn quickly! The vet said lettuce was ok.
Generally veggies should be started around 12 weeks or three months old but if he's handling it fine I don't see why not.

People keep mentioning feeding lettuce to their rabbits and not feeding any fresh foods until 8 weeks. I never feed my rabbits lettuce, it doesn’t sit well in their stomachs (although small amounts may be okay). Plus my first rabbit was bred by a vet who said she never fed lettuce to her rabbits.
Kale, basil, mint, spinach (pretty much every green @odyssey~ has mentioned) are some good greens.
I’ve never heard the waiting until 8 weeks+ thing, I fed veggies to my 3-5 week babies as they weaned off their milk (it helps them as they get used to pellets) and they tend not to eat veggies unless they see their mom eating them. It takes more time for a mature rabbit to eat certain fresh foods. Which may prove the the waiting until their weaned from mom wrong.

Back