Greenleafpets: Cocoapuff's Cat Scratch Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Just separating this topic from the 'Minnie' thread...

greenleafpets wrote:
hi there:

I also read about the positive treatment for an abcess regarding administration of Bicillin (Penicillin G with Benzathine). I stumbled upon it tonite on the rabbitsonline.net website and unix.oit.umass. Apparently, this long term treatment can eradicate masses in rabbits. The findings are supported by Marcy Moore.

I am going to run this treatmnet by my vet and see what she thinks.

Our bunny is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday morning 11/24. She was injured a week and a half ago by our cat and has two injuries - masses that are quite painful; one is on her upper right eyelid, the other is on her right jaw.

Cocoapuff is 8 months old. The vet wants to remove as much of the abcesses as possible withput compromising her eyelid tissue. She is on Metacam which looks to be an anti-inflammatory not the antibiotic, Fortaz, and Benebac.

Any opinion on this combo of Rx's?

What I would really like your opinion on is how to make a slurry of food? What should I use? She is having difficulty eating and drinking. Thanks.

Pipp wrote:
Pasteurella multocida infection is the most common pathogen contracted from cat bites, it's a bad one so aggressive treatment is required. Injectable penicillin and oral Baytril seems to be the most common drugs in this area, although depending on your area and history, there may be something better than Baytril for the oral.

Metacam is for pain relief and inflation (and must be given with food and water).

The antibiotic is the Fortaz, and I really hope its strong and targeted enough to do the trick. *ETA - Did the vet do a culture and sensitivity test?

If the wounds are looking red and painful and they're hot, I really wouldn't wait until Tuesday.

The best feeding supplement will be Critical Care. It contains a probiotic, which is what the Benebac is, and it has vitamins and appetite stimulants. It's a powder and it really has a to be well soaked so it doesn't absorb and hydration from the gut.

Meantime keep him warm and with lots of fluids.

Cat bites go systemic very quickly. :(

sas :pray:

Pipp wrote:
PS: Definitely try some canned pumpkin, that's a great, wet high fiber food that's easy to eat. You can mix it with the Critical Care or give it to him straight.

greenleafpets wrote:
Thanks for your feedback! The surgery to remove eye abscess and jaw abscess from cat scratch was successful on Cocoa Puff, although a small portion of the abscess is attached to the back of her left eye so they could not remove it all. They say that it could lead to blindness if it keeps growing. She is recovering nicely from surgery but still does not want to drink water. She loves the canned pumpkin and is trying to eat all of her other regular foods and dark leafy greens.

The vet is already knowledgeable about the benefits of Penicillin-G. She gave me plenty of injectable Pen-G for long term administration but said I could finish the Fortaz first to keep costs down. Should I just stop the Fortaz NOW and wait the required 2 days & then start the Pen-G to get at that eye abscess or what??? I have about 2 more weeks worth of Fortaz and don't really think I should wait so long to start it....your thoughts would be very appreciated.

I'm not sure about the Fortaz. That's a sulfa drug I think. Is it injectable or the drops? You have to be very careful about drug interactions, so it will be best to ask the vet.

Did they say you had to stop the Fortaz for two days?

I'd personally be more comfortable starting the PenG ASAP, but I'd hate to see a break in treatment.

sas :?

PS: It's seems to be the most common to give injected penicillin in conjunction with an oral antibiotic, but I don't know if Fortaz fits that bill or not. Usually it's the Pen-G and ChlorPalm or Zithromax or something like that.

It is best to use the penicillin in conjunction with a drug like Zithromax..you might want to ask your vet about this. You have a serious problems to deal with and 2 antibiotics may better stop bacterial growth than just the penicillin although the penicillin is a fantastic drug.

Ialso am not familar with using a sulfa drug in conjunction with penciillin

:yeahthat:

Especially with cat scratches you have to be pretty aggressive with the antibiotic therapy.

Latest posts

Back