Greasy poo/poop stuck to fur a lot help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammiefaith

Reaction score
Okay so we got Holly yesterday. she was from a pet store,from the best breeder in our state ( i know adopt,but i wasent thinking at the time,and it was close to us,mom didnt wanna drive and so on) ANYWAY she seemed fine yesterday.

She is a 2 month old holland lop bunny, or so it was said. she is deffinatly a lop of some sort!

so, she seemed ok yesterday, today i picked her up (she had poop on her shoulder,i guessed she laid in it,so i was picking her up to get it off,and noticed all arround her bum betwen her legs was poop, so i held her and my mom got it all off.. but i wondering, what would have caused it?

shes eating forti diet bunny food( my mom got the adult,and we got the juvinile today and switched it,i am wondering if it was from the food?) and has hay in both her litter boxes and in her kitchen area. she has fresh water, and we gave her some veggies this morning (wich shes not eating much of!)

so, i was wondering, if anyone knew the cause of this,or if it was just mabie stress from moveing and food change,since im sure she wasent eating this food where we got her. (they didnt tell us what she was eating anyway)

so,anyone know what it could be, its semi diareah looking, but my mom said its not that really,but more a greasy substance attatched to them.

also, she doesnt move arround much, our fosters always did,and were her age,they were always running and playing,but she kind of sits.

i know! call a vet!! but mom says ask first so, i am.

so anyway! help!

They can get a parasite called coccidia that can cause diarrhea and loose stool. It can also cause them to be lethargic. I would take her to a vet and get a fecal done, usually that is easy cured with some deworming medication.

First, she probably shouldn't be getting veggies. And if you do introduce veggies, it should be only one vegetable and a tiny bit. Then you monitor her poo for a few days to see if everything is normal, etc.

When you change rabbit pellets, you should do so slowly! Like over a week, putting a bit of new pellets in with the ones she is used to...and gradually increasing the amount of new food and lessening the amount of the old one.

So here you have a bunny that was moved to a strange place, given vegetables (which she probably hasn't had, at the pet store), given a strange food for a bit and then a totally different food right after.

If it were my bunny, I'd take the pellets away completely and give her hay, and keep hay in front of her. Then give her a small amount of pellets. The next day do the same thing and gradually work up to always having pellets and hay.

Most recommend not giving veggies until they're at least 4 months old. If you really want to give her veggies, wait until after her poop has returned to normal. And then give a small amount of one kind of veggie. Do that for a few days, stopping if her poop gets mushy again.

I'd say it's the change in pellets, the move from pet store to her new home and probably the new experience of veggies too. I agree with Wendy that if you want to continue veggies just wait till she's back to tip-top and go slow with small amounts.

Keep us posted!

I have this trouble with my Pidge sometimes. She's working on learning the litter box so sometimes she'll crash out on a cecal and I have to really work to get it out. Not fun!

I just took the pelets out,and removed the veggies. so,do i give her pelets tomorrow in a small amount,or do i just keep on her hay? if so how long do i keep her on hay?

also had my mom add some fresh hay in,since i cant handle it (allergic to they hay,of course XD )

It won't hurt her to go without pellets for a day or two, as long as she's eating the hay. Tomorrow evening or the next morning you might just give her small amount of pellets and see how her poop is that day, then give her a little more the following day. Gradually increase itas long as she seems to be doing okay with it.

:yeahthat: It just sounds like there were too many changes too quickly. And don't forget to let us know how she's doing tomorrow, after not having pellets for a bit. They should start firming back up for you.

Do you know about cecal pellets? They are kind of greasy looking and I have a feeling that might be what you're talking about. I had NO idea about them when I got my baby, and the first time I saw them I panicked big time. Check out this link, it has a photo and everything.
http://www.hrss.net/aar/care/care_diet_cecals.html

If you think that's what you were seeing, go ahead and put the pellets back in. I just had a vet visit and was told that baby buns should have alfalfa based pellets (oxbow is apparently very good and my babe loves them) and alfalfa hay instead of timothy until she gets older. Hope this helped!

It's probably just the moving stress - I wouldn't worry too much. if she's eating, she's unlikely to be ill. My rabbit Charlie, unlike my other two, is always getting the craps. He's a martyr to his bowels, and some rabbits just are that way. Loads of hay, a dull and boring healthy rabbit food like burgess excell, and easy on the greens for a bit. Go for parsley or cilantro a little at a time rather than anything pale. Apparently it's carbs that give rabbits the craps - they're supposed to have almost entirely fibre. You'll work out what works for your rabbit - they all have their quirks. Some have smellier quirks than others. Charlie hates hay and would rather eat wallpaper and books, he abhors healthy food, and only gets excited about the cheap crap with coloured biscuits in, he finds carrot dull and likes butternut squash or a little square of crystalised ginger for his daily treat. he won't countenance a peanut, while Lex and Fudge would probably run through a burning building to get to a peanut. Lex likes blueberries and cherries, Fudge likes a bit of banana, but turns her nose up at Thyme. Charlie will eat basil, but isn't fussed about mint or apple, where the other two will eat both until they pop. Just try different stuff and you'll get a balance. I'm allergic to hay as well. totally worth it though!

Back