Gravity Bin feeder for Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flirtycuddle

Reaction score
I use a hay rack for my bunny but the one I have allows all the small pieces to fall into his litter box leading to him not touching those pieces at all. I have added cardboard to the bottom to keep everything from falling out and it isn't working.

My question is would a gravity bin feeder for the hay work better? Also are they even logical for a dog crate used as a cage since we will be getting one later this week or next week for him. If not any tips to help stop having so much drop out since he wont eat it once it lands in or near his litter box?

I am not sure what a gravity bin feeder is. I am not sure how picky your rabbit is, but mine wouldn't eat the small pieces whether they were in the bin or the litter box. I am interested in hearing about the gravity feeder and if it seems to be working better for you or if you are still looking for a solution.

I am envisioning what this gravity feeder looks like and I can tell you with almost certainty that rabbits are too smart for it. Mine would pull hay out until they got to a perfect long, chewy piece to gnaw on, leaving me to clean the mess of smaller pieces of hay scattered on the floor. They do it without much reason. One of my buns hay bins is not near the litter at all. I lined it with an empty cereal box cut to the right size. He still wont touch small pieces. He wont eat hay that's been out over 24-36 hrs... spoiled rabbit!! The only economical solution I have ever come up with is buy cheaper hay, i.e. buy in bulk... :(

I actually got one and altered it some and tried it. He didn't pull out the hay and make a huge mess to my surprise but he also didn't eat as much hay as he was before so I gave up lol. My bun is spoiled to the point he wont use any litter box but the one that is to small for him so I found another plastic bin and cut it down (sanded rough edges) and now put the hay in the empty space of the plastic container and he chows down like crazy. I was using a different hay feeder and had 24 oz bag last me over a month. This new bag is about half way gone and only had it a week or so.

I had to laugh about the litter box. My friend adopted a rabbit and got a small corner box. When she brought the rabbit home, she realized the rabbits butt barely fit in it. So she got a bigger one, not real big, just bigger. The rabbit refused to use it and when she put the small box back in, the rabbit started to use it again. Sometimes I think they do strange things just to make us humans feel crazy.

I even put a grate in the bigger box and he refused to use it...would pee outside the box right next to it while leaning in the box to eat the hay. I swear he does it to just drive me nutty and to prove he's in control of HIS cage lmao. Then again when I got him he wasn't litter box trained and used his whole cage as his potty so I'll just clean his box 2x a day and let him have the smaller litter box lol.

Back