*** Graphic picture *** POSSIBLE PROLAPSE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My wife's rabbit Duchess has something wrong with her privates.

We noticed she had some poop around her tail and decided togive her a bunny butt bath and discovered this.

Sheis eating,pooping,urinating and behavingnormally. She doesn't act like she is in any pain or discomfort.

Any idea on what it is?

Dutchysochy.jpg

From the pic....looks like some type of prolapse to me. If so, that should be considered a life threatening emergency. If the tissue's blood supply gets cut off, the tissue will become necrotic and that will not be a good thing at all. In some prolapses, it is possible to "reinstall" the prolapse using a lubricant. The cause of the prolapse should be corrected. Sometimes there is a weak spot...like a hernia..that can be surgically tacked. Sometimes an intestinal prolapse is a digestive system issue.

Randy

A prolapse is when something that should be inside the body exits the body. Hamsters are very prone to intestinal prolapse. If they aren't fed properly and have to strain to poop, their intestines will exit the body. It is something like a hernia. If caught early, a skilled vet can "reinstall" the prolapse using a lubricant and many times something like a popsicle stick. Some cases require a surgical tack to hold the tissue in place. Some animals are prone to vaginal prolapse during a difficult birth. If not prompty corrected, the prolapsed tissue will become cut off from it's blood supply and that tissue will die. That usually requires an animal to be euthanized. It's not a pretty sight at all.

Randy

Did you take her to the vet or did it just retract on its own?

Keep an eye on it if it's the latter cause it will most likely happen again.

:woohooGood news from the vet this morning. Dutchy does not have a prolapse but a urinary infection. I am relieved that it was an infection and not the prolapse. I was afraid if it was aprolapse it could have taken a sudden turn for the worst and Dutchy might be at the rainbow bridge.

What was stuck on her privates was some dried urine and fur.

She will be on antibiotics for a few days and the vet is confident she will recover quickly.

Great! I hope she's feeling better now! Sounds like someone is going to need lots of extra water in the future!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Great! I hope she's feeling better now! Sounds like someone is going to need lots of extra water in the future!

I make sure her water bottle is always full, maybeDutchy would prefer bottled water? They say cranberry juice is good for preventing urinary problems. Can you give a rabbit cranberry juice?;)

Try giving her a water bowl- many rabbits will drink more from bowls. You could give her a little bit of 100% pure cranberry juice, or give her fresh or fresh-frozen cranberries. My buns get a few frozen cranberries a week.

I hope she feels better soon!

Latest posts

Back