"Grand Champion" Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetrose

Reaction score
Libby The true north west Montana, Montana, USA
OK so I am new to showing and I am purchasing a english lops buck (so excited!!!!) He has 3 grand champion legs, and she said when he gets registered he'll become a grand champion, Ok so here is the question how does the whole grand champion thing work and how do buns become grand champions?

When a rabbit wins BOB, BOV, and I think BOSB, BOSV...? in shows then they get a leg towards their grand championship. You have to have three legs to get them granded. From what you said she told you, it sounds as though she did explain it to you. ;)

You can have them registered by registrars at shows. ;) It costs to have them registered....not to sure on the price...I think $1-$3? But I could be wrong so don't trust my word, lol.

Emily

A rabbit earns a leg when one of the following conditions are met:

1. Wins first in class with 5 animals shown in the classby 3 exhibitors.

2. Wins Best of Variety or Group with 5 animals shown in the varietyby 3 exhibitors.

3. WinsBest Opposite Variety or Groupwith 5 animals shown (of the same sex and variety) by 3 exhibitors.

4. Wins Best in Show provided there are 5 rabbits by 3 exhibitors.

5. WinsBestof Breedwith 5 animals shown by 3 exhibitors.

Basically everything if with 5 rabbits shown by 3 exhibitors :)

As far as registering a rabbit, it is $6 and you must be an ARBA member, the rabbit must be free of any DQs and must have a full 3 generation pedigree. The rabbit also must be tattooed.

Sharon

The grand champion certificate can be applied for at the time of registration, or send in the legs w/ $4.00 anytime after registration. The rabbit must have at least one leg as a senior, and the legs must have been awarded under 2 different judges. Be sure all info on the legs is correct, or the GC certificate will not be processed.

A rabbit that is unregisterable cannot be grand championed (no matter how many legs it has) - so I would get the rabbit registered ASAP.

Pam

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
As far as registering a rabbit, it is $6 and you must be an ARBA member, the rabbit must be free of any DQs and must have a full 3 generation pedigree.  The rabbit also must be tattooed.

And while some registrars don't seem to worry about it, it's actually important that the pedigree includes weights on it. These are the weight values of the ancestor at the time they were registered, not necessarily what they are right now.

Weights for all ancestors are mandatory on the pedigrees - ARBA will not accept applications that are not complete.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Weights for all ancestors are mandatory on the pedigrees - ARBA will not accept applications that are not complete.

Pam

Ooh now I have a question...what if the weights were never filled out? You still can't register/grand champion a rabbit? That's kinda sucky if so...the breeders of the ancestors never put the weights on so why should we get penalized?

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Ooh now I have a question...what if the weights were never filled out? You still can't register/grand champion a rabbit? That's kinda sucky if so...the breeders of the ancestors never put the weights on so why should we get penalized?

Emily

Correct. It's important to keep complete and accurate records because a rabbit can't be registered without a complete pedigree including all weights.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Emily

Correct. It's important to keep complete and accurate records because a rabbit can't be registered without a complete pedigree including all weights.

Pam

Ahh great. That dashes my hopes of getting any of my current stock registered/granded then. :( That kind of irks me. I'm going to make sure all weights are on my kits pedigrees from now on.

Emily

This is true...don't record the weight on the pedigree until the rabbit is a senior. There is no reason to unless that rabbit had a litter.

Sharon

sweetrose wrote:
I was told by the breeder that I shouldnt record their weight till they were 6 months old, so their weight isnt on there, is this true?

It's not necessary to have the weight of the rabbit you are registering on the pedigree because the registrar weighs the rabbit.

Some people wait until they register the rabbit to get an "official" weight on the paperwork.

However, it's a good idea to put a weight on the paperwork when the rabbit turns senior.

Pam

Back