Got our third bunny today...already need some advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f_j

Reaction score
We've had our two netherland dwarf does,Penelope and Lola, for a few weeks now. They are about 2.5months old. We brought home our 6 week old holland lop,Rupert, today. He has his own cage, and the girls livetogether in their own cage. The girls have gotten along greatso far and seem to really love each other. We've left Rupertin his cage so that he can get comfortable in his new home.The cages are beside each other, a few inches apart. We letthe girls out tonight as usual, and Penelope seems more facinated byRupert being in the cage than Lola does. Whenever Lolaapproaches Rupert's cage, Penelope chases her away. She'snever acted like this before. She won't let Lola nearRupert's cage. What does this mean? Has she claimedRupert as hers? Or does she not want to share Lola withanother bunny? Is there anything I can do about thisbehaviour? I feel bad for Lola. Should I moveRupert to another room? Any advice would be very muchappreciated!

My boyfriend just sat with both girls besideRupert's cage and the behaviour seems to have stopped. I'mkeeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way! They areboth chewing cardboard around his cage now, and no chasing is happening:)

Sure! Here's one:

IMG_1110.jpg

OMG he's beautiful. I love his colouring.

I want to put him on my Bunny Napping list, but I don't know what partof the world you are from. Maybe I will be lucky and you'refrom somewhere in Ontario so I don;t have to go far. LOL

Soooska:apollo:

SOOOSKA wrote:
OMG he's beautiful. I love his colouring.

I want to put him on my Bunny Napping list, but I don't know what partof the world you are from. Maybe I will be lucky and you'refrom somewhere in Ontario so I don;t have to go far. LOL

Soooska:apollo:

Thanks! At the risk of having Rupert bunny-napped....I am from Ontario :embarrassed:. LOL
But I won't say WHERE in Ontario!!!

SOOOSKA wrote:
Do I have to promise? Of course I'd give them back.:agree
:lieshehe

Omgosh! Rupert is gorgeous! ohh yes his colouring is very pretty :D

I had the same problem when i just had Sunshine and Lulu,andwhen i brought Daisy home,Sunshine would also chase Lulu away,i guessmaybe cause Daisy was new and Sunshine can be very bossy..she likes tocheck things out first before any bunny,she wasn't getting aggressivethough which was good,the chasing did stop after a while though

I would maybe leave him there and just watch the girls andseehowthey are acting,if Penelope starts to get to aggressive oranythingi would move him for a while, i'm just going by myown experiences :)

cheryl

f_j wrote:
Whenever Lola approaches Rupert's cage, Penelopechases her away. She's never acted like thisbefore. She won't let Lola near Rupert's cage. Whatdoes this mean? Has she claimed Rupert as hers? Ordoes she not want to share Lola with another bunny? Is thereanything I can do about this behaviour? I feel bad forLola. Should I move Rupert to another room? Anyadvice would be very much appreciated!
Hey there,

You've got two girls fast approaching their teenage years. It isprobably jealously, she does not want Lola to be friends with anotherbunny. I would move Rupert's cage for now to remove that source oftension between the girls. Once everybun has been fixed, then I wouldtry to start bonding in neutral territory.

OOhh, that Rupert is a sweetie pie - look atthat cute little face!! Welcome to the Harlequin Hollandclub!! My Charlie is also a harlequin holland.

cheryl13 and jordiwes - Thank you for yourresponses! I certainly don't want anything to jeapordize howwell Penelope and Lola get along (although I realize that once theirhormones kick in, there is a chance they will not get along regardlessof Rupert). They will both be spayed at about 5months. Right now, Rupert is in our spare cage which sitsdirectly on the floor. We have ordered the same model of cagePenelope and Lola live in for him...it is raised up several inches offthe floor, which I think will help the situation. It shouldarrive this week sometime. When the girls are out, we willjust remove Rupert's ramp, so they won't really be able to see him fromthe ground, which hopefully will put an end to the chasingbehaviour. It did seem to improve as the night went on...andwe started giving Penelope a little spray of water whenever she didchase Lola away.

Honeypot - I am going to search now for some pics of your harlequinholland! I am in love with their colouring, it is sogorgeous! How long have you had Charlie?

Latest posts

Back