Got my baby New Zealands, thoughts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
P5080038.jpg

THis is Pippin, he's the buck of the bunch.

P5080042.jpg

This is Rosie, she actually belongs to my aunt.

P5080041.jpg

This is Trisha, there's a 'H' in her ear so we know which red doe is which.

I know they aren't posed and yes I *know* they are young. I wasn't terribly amused taking at this age but they were all weaned and ready to go, I had asked him if they were ready to go . . . I want to let them relax and settle before I make them sit for better pictures.

One reason breeders don't buy rabbits real young is because adult type is not yet apparent. These rabbits look to be about 6-8 weeks? At this time, the only calls I can usually make are definite culls (pet quality) Anything else is usually grown out until 10-12 weeks right before they hit uglies. Any earlier and they're too young to evaluate, any older and I can't get a fair evaluation from the ugly stage.

I'd suggest growing these guys out for awhile and posting new pics of them in a few weeks. We'll be better able to help you evaluate them when they're a little older. :)

I just wanted to add that I LOVE the red babies. I know nothing about how to judge them for type - but as far as color goes - I'm in love with them.

I like Pippin too!

The bunnies are very young in the photos. Meat pen age maximum is 10 weeks - 3-5 pounds and those babies don't even come close.

As already mentioned, they are way to young to evaluate for type.

GORGEOUS! I have a broken black NZ but she is no where near as stunning as a red! Ugh! So pretty...

As I know this is a very old post, the babies are now almost 4 months old and instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd go find the old one and post the new pictures. As for Rosie, she wasn't mine to begin with(my aunts), so she's at her own place now and my buns are with me. As for the coloring, are the red's supposed to fade down like that?

P7250005.jpg

Trisha's still gorgeous, no matter how I look at it, but Rosie has also faded down and isn't as vibarant a red as they were was 6 week olds, so I assume it's normal.

P7250004.jpg

He's a sweetheart, I was amazed as how sweet they are, the New Zealands, makes me want to delve into that breed as well! LOL. I have plenty enough with Dutch, English Spots(still learning), Mini Rex(small herd) and Velveteen Lops.

So any New Zealand breeders out there? How do you think I did getting a pair? They seem to have grown up nicely. Born April 9th and 10th respectively, so still babies.

oh and as a quickly thing, they aren't pedigreed, their parent's owners bought Pippin and Trisha's parents for meat production so didn't bother with pedigrees so I am starting their lines over with their parents names and then the names we gave them and so on. oh well, so going back isn't an option.

The type and coats are poor for New Zealands. If you are going to pursue showing them, I'd look into getting better quality breeding stock.

my thoughts exactly Pam. They both look really long in shoulder. The fur on the white looks really fine, almost like he may have some satin back there?

that's what I was looking for! Thanks Pam, Melinda! If they aren't worth showing, then I am not going to worry about it, they are my father's rabbits, he told me i could show them if i wanted to so i figured on posting them here see if someone knew more about them than i did. The only people i knew that had New Zealands before raised them specifically for meat and didn't worry about body type.

Latest posts

Back