Got Delilah spayed today need HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
This is my fist bunny and I got her spayed today. She came home at 4pm. The vet did not send me home with any collar. I am worried about her pulling out her stitches! Yikes. What should I do?? She has a very slight interest in the incision area but I don't want her to start picking at it. Any advise in general on the care of her now post op?

Thanks.

:bunnydance:

Are the stitches visible? Usually these days they use inner stitching or ones that dissolve, the rabbits don't usually chew them.

Did the vet give you pain meds? She'll also be in a lot of pain once the meds they gave her at the clinic wear off.

Right now the important thing is to keep her warm. Bunnies' temperature drops after the anesthetic.

How is she doing?

sas :expressionless:

Thanks for your help! She seems to be ok. I really hate to post this bc I feel terrible but I had to take her to a vet that was cheaper than her reg vet to get fixed. It cost me $150 and her reg vet wanted like 350 to 500...and I simply do not have that kind of money on hand. The vet said they are disolvable stitches but did not state they were internal (I doubt they are). I asked about pain meds and they said she won't need any. Both my bf and I thought that was odd but she said they do injectable pain meds (which she got). Nothing to take home. I can call her reg vet to see if she can give me something. Thanks for letting me know about her temp dropping bc I turned the fan on since it is soo hot here. Maybe I should turn itoff? She seems ok and did eat some vegie tonight.

I can and will get her addditional meds if it is needed :) I do not want her suffering.

No worries. There should be stitches inside that dissolve, but you can't see them. I think you really should get some pain meds for her, especially since it's a spay. I'm glad she's eating. Make sure she keeps that up, as well as pooing, peeing, and drinking.

There are some soft e-collars on here that are good--basically socks wrapped around the neck and secured with safety pins or tape. Search function isn't working for me.

tonyshuman wrote:
No worries. There should be stitches inside that dissolve, but you can't see them. I think you really should get some pain meds for her, especially since it's a spay. I'm glad she's eating. Make sure she keeps that up, as well as pooing, peeing, and drinking.

There are some soft e-collars on here that are good--basically socks wrapped around the neck and secured with safety pins or tape. Search function isn't working for me.

I will try to get her some then. Do you think it would be ok to call my reg vet for the pain meds even though I did not get her spay there?

I hope I can find the e-collars on here :) Thanks.

XOXO

You can at least ask your regular vet, although they may not be very happy.

tonyshuman wrote:
You can at least ask your regular vet, although they may not be very happy.

That is what I was thinking. But hey they charge wayy to much. How many days do you think she will be in pain? What type of pain meds to they have for bunnies?? Liquid?

:wave:

What they usually give is meloxicam (Metacam), which is an oral suspension. I think she would be in pain for about a week. I haven't had a bun spayed, just neutered, so I don't know firsthand, but I have heard that since a spay is so much more invasive, a narcotic drug is really important for them as well. Narcotic drugs are tramadol and buprenorphine. They are also liquids. I think you could call back the vet that did the spay and say she's acting like she's in pain, can I have a prescription for Metacam for her? That way you can at least give her something. It shouldn't cost more than $20.

we had our first couple of rabbits spayed at a VCA affiliated vet. After some checking, we found that they padded their bill with procedures that didn't need to be done. They kept our bunnies overnite also. Found a vet 30 miles away that only charged $125 with the same tests and pain meds sent home and they said it wasn't necessary to keep them there. Found out later they were also giving vaccinations to our dogs that were not needed since we lived in the city, not on a farm. We've had 14 spays done and only one got to her stitches and that was with a collar that we couldn't keep on her. Mostly, we didn't use the pain meds as the bunnies were doing everything they normally would and seemed in no way affected by it.

I have no patience with a vet that sends a rabbit home with no pain meds. I have a standing offer to spay or neuter any vet without pain meds.....never had any takers. The pain injection they get at the vet is usually either Butorphenol (good for only a couple of hours) or Buprenorphine (good for up to 12 hours). My question to any of you....would you refuse pain meds after major surgery? I doubt it. If you are like me, you are looking for relief for a minor head ache. And we are talking major surgery. Many think that "they are acting like they always do"....remember they are prey animals and will hide pain at any costs. My vets, all experienced exotic focused doctors, are quick to pull the trigger on pain meds. Metacam is an anti-inflammatory in the same class as our Tylenol. Better than nothing but insufficient especially with spays. A narcotic (Buprenorphine is preferred) or a narcotic like drug (Tramadol) will provide adequate analgesic qualities. Weadminister narcotics for up to three days for neuters and up to five days for spays. No if, ands or buts about it. I personally think it should be a violation of state laws and certainly ethics if a vet sends any animal home post-op without pain meds. Borders on barbaric. I just keep wondering when these vets will get into this century regarding meds...of all kinds. Sorry for the rant but this issue is a major pet peeve of mine.

And we don't allow e-collars. Too stressful. We also insist on laser surgery for spays. Cleaner incision, less blood and quicker healing. Uses internal self dissolving sutures with a final close with tissue glue.

Randy

Just An update I called her reg vet and they were more than happy to give me a liquid pain med for her :) so happy about that. I gave her some last night and will giver her some today and continue for the next days. Thanks for ur advice and help :). I did think it was odd they didn't send home any pain meds and refused to let me purchase the meds through them! Ughh I agree it seems crule and I'm glad I was able to get her pain meds!

Good to hear. I hope the rest of her recovery goes smoothly!

Wow I'm glad her reg vet cooperated. :D Did they give you Metacam? Hope she's doing ok and feels better.

Latest posts

Back