Got another Problem with Huggy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny_Mad

Reaction score
He seems to e more interested with Hay than his pellet mix.

I game him some apple, nothing, i gave him some lettuce noting, i gave him some banana as a little treat, nothing.

He does eat his pellet mix but since i git him he has only eaten abouta bowlfull. He eats tons of hay, especcially for Hutched cage. Buthardly touches he peelt mix?

Hi BunnyMad,

I don't think Huggy has a problem at all. I mainly just feed my rabbits a diet of pellets, hay, and water.

There are different ways of approaching your rabbit's diet. Ipersonally stay away from giving them fruits and vegetables because oftheir high content of sugar. I go by the idea that most of what therabbits need is already provided for in a good quality pellet food.

It's great that Huggy's enjoying his hay. He'll eat his pellets when hefeels he needs them. Just keep them available to him. Perhaps he feelslike he needs the hay a bit more now. Some days my little ones eat morehay than pellets, other days, they barely touch their hay.

As long as he's eating it and his pellets and pooping and peeing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S. I do give my rabbits Timothy Hay as opposed to Alfalfa Hay because Alfalfa is high in calories and calcium.

Bunny_Mad wrote:
He seems to e more interested with Hay than his pellet mix.

I game him some apple, nothing, i gave him some lettuce noting, i gave him some banana as a little treat, nothing.

He does eat his pellet mix but since i git him he has only eaten abouta bowlfull. He eats tons of hay, especcially for Hutched cage. Buthardly touches he peelt mix?
Hello Bunny_Mad,

when you say Pellet-Mix what do you mean? Are you feeding Petshoppelleted rabbit feed with the pretty colored candy pieces added to it?This may be part of the problem. I would also feed less Fruits andVegetables as these too can lead to problems in the rabbitsGastro-Intestinal tract. Your rabbit eating plenty of Grasshay isprobably saving it's life. It seems that your bunny is smarter than youthink. I would purchase a quality pelleted rabbit feed, not from aPtshop or supermarket as their feed tends to sit too long and lose it'snutritional value. Rabbit feed that is over threew months old [See Feedtag on bag] is as useless as feeding cardboard. From you post I amsuspecting a problem with you feeding program. He may be eating quiteenough pelleted feed, rabbits should be fed one ounce of feed per poundof body weight, [Just a generalization] Some rabbits may require moreor less. If your rabbit does not appear thin and bony in fleshcondition I would not worry much about it, but you may want to switchto a better quality feed. I hope this help some.

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley

I only give him fruit very rarely and when i do, not a lot.

I find that the sugar in fruits can be a good thing, it is naturalsugar, it is Slow Energy Release Sugar. So it will keep him going forhours if he's feeling abit down.

The pellet mix i use is Supa Rabbit Excel, i do check the feed tag, andi know when the shop gets a delivery so i get it as fresh as it comes.

Veg has been always given on Sunday, as we buy it for Sunday dinner.And fruit is either Apple or Banana, as i said, good for Slow EnergyRelease and only Once per month as a treat, maily in winter as it rotsquickly in Summer.

The Pllet feed has not get colourful pieces in it. As small animalstend to eat the bits they like and leave what they don't, so they don'tget all the nutrients they need.

The one i use has everything blended into one Brown pellet so they get everything they need.

Okey Dokey Bunny_Mad,

in that case your rabbit is eating exactly what he needs. Sorry for second guessing.

Dennis,C.V.R.;)

Latest posts

Back