Got a holland lop=)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisy126

Reaction score
Yesterday we got a black holland lop named Benji (tattoo # is BEN). No pictures sadly, lol but I think he has cage aggression? When you stick your hand into his cage, he runs up and bites you. I know some people have experienced this before, so I'd figure I would ask on here:).

And for those people who have shown rabbits a little bit; his tattoo is BARELY readable, could we tattoo over it?

Thanks, hopefully pictures soon:p
maisy, Batty, and Benji

Woops, I mean to ask how we could stop him from biting, would giving him a treat (craisin/raisin) everytime we open the door do any good?

Thanks again,
maisy (And Batty and Benji)

A good option for cage aggresive rabbits is to have a top opening cage.

I recommend using a tattooing pen to tattoo over old tattoos.

Pam

He's so new, I'd give him some time to settle in. Also, I greatly prefer cages that are set up so the rabbit can hop in and out on his own for playtime. This prevents a lot of problems mainly because you avoid "invading his space" while he is there.

Pens and top opening cages are also a good option. It's easier to pick up a rabbit from a top opening cage (if you can't have the cage on the floor) and you don't look like you're invading his space to him. Pens are larger and have no ceiling, and the rabbit will usually choose a small space such asa hidey box or litter box to defend but be totally ok with you touching everything else while he is there.

Also yes, have him associate your hand with good things. Small treats like a single craisin are good. Start by offering them through the cage wire so he doesn't get mad and try to bite you.

Thanks Pamnock and naturesee, this morning he didn't even charge when I fed him:). I don't have cage that opens from the top, and his is going to be stcked on top of or below Batty's. But he can come out whenever he wants right now while it's still on the ground.

Back