Goopy Nose (Picture)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[align=center]We took him to the vet, and of course, his nose wasn't runny at the time, so we did a back-of-the-throat-swab and she's doing cultures. (which costs 150 bucks!!!!!!)

We get answers on Tuesday or Wednesday.

She checked his teeth too- said they looked fine, a little sharp, but they aren't bothering him.

It sounds like the vet is being very thorough. I hope you get results and an effective antibiotic soon.

I had a bunny a long time ago I got from a petstore (i know i know...) and he developed sneezing and discharge from his nose. We took him to our vet who gave him antibiotics that didn't help. We got a refill so he was on it for 20 days and it cleared it up a bit but not all the way. He ended up living with a little sneeze and a little discharge every once in a while for a few more years, didn't seem to bother him he was happy and active. He later became partially paralized in his back legs and we did our best to make him comfortable for his last few days. We had 4 bunnies at the time, separate cages but came in contact with one another, and now when I think back to how they passed I realize it was most likely pasteurella that killed 3 of them (they were all 6-9 years old). Again, this was a long time ago before we knew of rabbit-savvy vets and before you could google anything. I remember looking snuffles up online once and all I could find was to put him down so he didn't infect the rest of your breeding stock.... One died from mammary cysts (our vet thought cancer but could have been cysts from pasteurella?), and the other died from some sort of seizure (could he have had pasteurella cysts in his brain?) But not pasteurella is treatable or may be managed with antibiotics, I wish I had known and had a vet that could have helped me. Not to scare you, I just wanted to post my experience to others...

[align=center]I didn't realize people had asked for updates- oops!

From the throat swab, we got results.. but they were pretty inconclusive. The only visible thing was E.Coli, but rabbits eat their own poop so yeah =P Lol

We go to Dr. Parks at Easthaven Animal Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI. He hasn't sneezed since, so we're going to wait. If he starts sneezing again we will be doing a new test specifically for Pasteurella.

Thank you for sharing your experience, ambercat. It does make me a bit nervous, but none of the buns have been sneezing lately (I mean the other two only sneeze once in a while- a normal amount), and none of them have dirty paws... But we are keeping a keen eye out. We don't really have that much money to spend right now, and my dad is frustrated with how much Sabriel has cost him (at least 1000 bucks).

Glad to hear things are looking better! Yes, they can become quite expensive little pets! I spent $500 whenTrouble broke his leg, a couple hundred trying to treat Pebbles sneezing, and surgery for Piggy would have started at $700 (for what they thought was mammary cancer)but they thought it had already spread and would be futile. I wish it wasn't so expensive! Or that we could get pet insurance but rabbits are still considered "exotic". Boo.

ambercat wrote:
Glad to hear things are looking better!  Yes, they can become quite expensive little pets!  I spent $500 when Trouble broke his leg, a couple hundred trying to treat Pebbles sneezing, and surgery for Piggy would have started at $700 (for what they thought was mammary cancer) but they thought it had already spread and would be futile.  I wish it wasn't so expensive!  Or that we could get pet insurance but rabbits are still considered "exotic".  Boo.

[align=center]Yeah, the 900 or so bucks was all from Sabriel breaking his leg as well. =P It was horrible. I'm so glad his leg is okay and normal looking now. We almost thought we'd have to amputate it.. I'm glad he got to keep all of his legs ^_^ Which leg did Trouble break? And aww =(

I agree! Rabbits are the third most popular pet in America (if I am correct).. pretty sure that they are not exotic.. lol

Trouble broke one of his front legs, I will have to see if I can put up a pic of him in his little cast. The vet put a little heart on it even. He jumped from my arms and caught his leg on the cage, it was not good. At least you (in the USA) can get more affordable spay/neuter for buns, up here the price ranges from $150-350 for a spay. I had my girl done for the $150 price and ended up having to take her back in for staples to close it back up, at least they didn't charge me for that or staple removal! I think the $350 price is a little much, but maybe they really pamper them....

The spay prices depends on where you are in the US. I am in a suburb of Philadelphia, PA. It was $350 for Becky, but we have a fantastic vet. I pass three other places that say they treat rabbits to go to this specific place. It's great because they have 6 doctors, each with their own specialty. I can take the whole family and still get a doctor that really knows what they are doing with that species.

Maybe it's a dental problem -?
MILU had something like that and he sneezed or sort of coughed when he got his dental problem. It wasn't easy to see it on his paws, sometimes even in the nose.
It was said that he didn't have any respiratory issues. He used to get better with the antibiotic (azithromycin) though. If you want to see the whole story of what happened to him, here's the infirmary page where there's all the story and all the medication prescribed and what i gave to him:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=55443&forum_id=16&page=1

I hope your bun is better, also that he doesn't break his leg of any other bone anymore.

[align=center]@amber: aww D: yeah, sabriel broke his leg on his cage too because another rabbit terrified him. since then even though he's not in that cage, i took the door off so solara can't accidentally do the same. she would NOT be able to go through what he has, because she is SO skittish sometimes. getting her cast changed would be way too stressful for her. all my buns were fixed at the humane society before i adopted them. well, sabriel was fixed way beforehand, we had to bring solara back to get fixed, and we couldnt take silas home until he got fixed. they practically paid US!

@vivian: thank you for saying that! the vet did look at sabriel's teeth.. she said they look a little sharp but nothing too bad... do you think she'd have to look harder? i dunno, my parents wouldn't be too happy if i said "oh mom, lets take sabriel to the vet and spend another 100 bucks that we dont have on him" i'm pretty sure she'd flip a lid. my dad's business isnt doing that well currently. he doesn't seem to be in pain at all and he isnt sneezing.. he hasnt sneezed in days. he's just laying there all comfy no :p

Back