Goopy Nose (Picture)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]I'm scared. Really scared.

Sabriel's sneezing is getting worse and I'm NOT WAITING ANY LONGER. He NEEDS to go to the vet again(my mom does not want to accept that because of the cost).

The Humane Society Vet is SOOO misinformed and pathetic when it comes to rabbits and they did nothing to help Sabriel when we took him in for sneezing last year except give us nasty Baytril LIVER tablets. Like Sabriel is gunna eat that! So we wasted money on a poor diagnosis and so my mom seems to think that Sabriel is "sick-proof" or something. I don't know- I'm babbling and crying and upset.

It also doesn't help that everyone drills in my mom's brain that it's only bad if stuff is on his paws... he keeps his paws very clean so I don't really think about that. What matters is what is coming out of his nose and I'm WORRIED. (He had a sneezing fit before this picture).

(sorry it's so big i want the details to be visible)
2011-03-31000723.jpg

But anyways- I just want to get your guys' thoughts on this, maybe then my mom will be more willing to accept the fact that we HAVE TO GO TO THE VET. I WILL be convincing her and we WILL be going to the vet.

He already went through a broken leg. He doesn't need to go through anything else...and I will NOT lose Sabriel or something horrible by waiting any longer.

While only you know what is and isn't normal for your rabbits, that picture and clean paws don't really indicate a big respiratory issue to me. Sneezing fits can be a sign of a respiratory issue or they can just be a result of something environmental like dusty hay.
My Fiona had horrible sneezes all 4 years that we had her. The vets never did figure out what was wrong and she'd have a little nasal discharge, occasionally some evidence on her paws of mucous but nothing too out there.
She lived a happy healthy life apart from the sneezing until we eventually lost her (even after a surgery) to mammary cancer.

[align=center]@sololawasall (I don't know if you want me saying your name or not, lol), but I have a great veterinarian that I will take him to that Brian actually recommended me to. She helped us throughout Sabriel's whole broken leg incident. (Plus she's closer- so less stressful for him)

@Christina: My rat, Holly was like that- she always sneezed... but anyways, thank you for your input! I still do want to take him to the vet JUST in case, you know? I'd rather be safe than sorry- especially with him. He always seems to have problems..

Also- the thing is, when he sneezes, it's hardly around his litter/pellets/hay. He was in the middle of his pen which is very clean and he just had that sneezing fit with that goop. Which his nose has been runny before- but never had goop. That's why I'm so worried.

That kind of discharge is definitely not normal; if he is sneezing and it is getting worse then he needs a vet before the infection progresses; I have seen rabbits with respiratory infections get pneumonia because owners attributed it to "allergies" Hope that your mom reads this

The rabbit needs a vet and antibiotics.

[align=center]My mom called the vet- she was not in. She left a message. I hope we can take hi in ASAP.

He goes off-and-on with sneezing, but it's never been white discharge, only clear and runny and I've heard it was bad. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.. Sabriel's my baby and him and I have been through SO much.

I would call the vet again and see if you can get him in asap. Also in the meantime, keep him warm and hydrated. That will help him fight this. Oh rabbiits can have oranges, just not the peel. Try giving him a slice or two of an orange. Maybe he is starting to get an upper respiratory infection.

Yes take him to the vet asap. If this is not caught early it WILL mean higher vet bills in the future.

Prince has been sick a lot, I know that vet bills can get expensive. But better safe than sorry.

[align=center]He was sneezing again, not like last night but I'm still really worried. We will be getting him in as soon as possible. I put a blanket in his cage for him to lay on/with. I don't think we have any oranges.

Thank you.

I'm thinking Sabriel might have been pet store bunny. He seems like it. Left at the Humane Society as a young age (6 months) but super sweet. Missing toe. This.

Hmm :I

Have you been able to listen to his breathing? Does it sound clear so far?

When my kids had Californians for FFA one of the does started sneezing. We didn't think too much of it at first but thenit progressed to thick mucous,a crusty nose and shehad laboredbreathing. We lost her to pneumonia pretty quick after that. We'd never hadany experience with sick rabbits up to that point and people were telling us to give her small doses of benadryl and other stuff...didn't help.Iagree that seeinga vet to make sure he isn't developinga respiratory infection would be a good idea.

[align=center]His breathing sounds fine right now.. thank goodness. But we'll still be taking him.

I wonder why he'd be getting a respiratory infection (if it is that). What are some of the causes of that?

We couldn't figure out how the Cal got sick but we know it's contagious because we had another rabbit about 10 feet away start coming down with the same thing after we lost the Cal. We found a vet, who gave us Baytril and were able tosave her.

URIs can pop up for any reason. Any insult to their immune system can make them susceptible to getting a URI. Stress from season change, any change in the household, etc. It does sound to me like he has a URI or potentially a tooth root problem. The mucus being white indicates URI to me, as clear mucus is more common with tooth root problems. If an antibiotic doesn't clear it up, have dental x-rays taken. This kind of thing needs to be taken care of quickly so it doesn't develop into something worse like pneumonia. It can take a while to find the correct antibiotic as well.

[align=center]Sabriel will be going to the vet at 12:15 tomorrow afternoon. I hope it doesn't come to the teeth thing. My parents aren't happy about getting a swab test thing. It is gunna cost a lot of money. (Which she's gunna swab his throat... that's right.. right?)

they may culture the "white Stuff ' to see which antibiotic would work best and/or they may just give you an antibiotic first.

if it doesn't clear up with the antibiotic then you may need to look into dental issues..

[align=center]He doesn't really have any white stuff on his nose anymore. Just some slight crust. The vet told my mom that it would be in the throat.. I dunno- we'll see. I'll suggest the goop if she doesn't do it. I'm just glad he's still upbeat and food-loving. That's my boy <3 He's strong =)

Dental issues would be REALLY bad because he does REALLY bad under anesthetic..

mistyjr wrote:
Is it the snuffles?

[align=center]I'm not sure. I sure hope not... We're taking him to the vet tomorrow at noon.

Latest posts

Back