Good thoughts needed for Benjamin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after some discussion between the pathologist and our vet, it appears that the mass is indeed thymoma. We will be seeking treatment at the vet school, which specializes in veterinary cancer, although they treat mostly dogs and cats. They have a new type of radiation therapy previously only available for humans there. It's called tomotherapy and it was developed here at UW. It's supposed to be better at focusing the radiation on a certain part of the tissue to minimize other damage. I have only read of one instance where it has been used in rabbits before, and only a few cases where rabbits have been treated with radiation of any sort for thymoma (

Tonyshuman, I am so sorry about Ben's diagnosis. I feel for you. I have just sent a special prayer up to heaven for you both. I pray for peace, comfort and health. Blessings to you and Ben:pray:

Thanks all. We did go to the Vet School hospital and the results of their diagnostics are less promising. They repeated x-rays and cytology, and did CT and took a deep nasal swab for culture as well. The x-rays and cytology gave us the same clues--mass is probably thymoma or lymphoma.

The CT showed the full extent of the mass, which is quite large, apparently (I did not see the CT scan), and the effect it's having on his lungs. The mass extends from his neck area all the way down past his chest cavity into the upper abdomen. One lung is quite impacted and doesn't look to be the correct density. They are thinking he may have some pneumonia there, which is why they took a deep nasal swab for culture. We are going to do some nebulization treatments while we wait for culture results (if we can get our hands on an at-home nebulizer).

He also has calcified tissue in his nose from it being irritated for such a long period of time. If the tissue gets inflamed and stays inflamed, the body will form a bone-like structure there.

That finding and the extent of loss of lung function he has really bothered me because it makes me feel like we've been negligent in getting him the care he needs in a timely fashion. I know there's nothing else we could have done; we treated whenever we saw something was wrong, which was rare. In fact, he still acts like a happy little ball of energy. You would not know he is sick or anything, except for the occasional sneeze/cough. It amazes me that he can still race around the house doing binkies with his reduced lung function.

The fact that he's young and otherwise healthy and in good spirits is why we're going to go on with treatment. It sounds like he's very sick from what the vets say; but it's worth trying to treat him because he's so strong. Honestly when I heard the extent of what the school vets found I thought he was too sick to be treated and that we'd have to have him PTS to save him the stress and trouble of treatment. The vets there do think it is worthwhile to treat him, which is good.

It's a rather emotional thing here! Thanks for letting me spill my guts!

Latest posts

Back