Good Non-Leafy foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassidyfare

Reaction score
I was wondering what non-leafy foods you guys like to give your bunnies? I usually rotate radishes, celery, and green beans, but she’s been getting sick of them. She won’t even touch a radish or bit of celery anymore. So what are your guyses go to’s, and how often do you give them?

I give them celery sticks maybe twice a week 1/2 stick per head, but never actually fed them radishes or beans, if she gets sick after I would just stop feeding her them.

I give them a small piece of a carrot maybe once a week, 1/4 or 1/8 of an apple without seeds like once a week, or some other fruit, small piece of a plum etc, but that's for treats. On a daily basis I use cauliflower leaves or herbs, cilantro/coriander, dill, fennel, mint, thyme, sometimes kale but only once a week or 1/2 or 1/3 of cabbage leaf also rarely if I don't have other greens at hand.

What else she eats, hay, what pellets, or you just feed fresh food?

I give some carrots but not much maybe a small piece every few days. I also give her some banana and apple which she totally loves but i don't give her much since it has lots of sugar. Sometimes she will also get strawberry when we have them on hand. If the reason you are looking for non-leafy foods is because you don't have any on hand, there are plants that most people have in their yards that rabbits can have. So long as the yard isn't sprayed with chemicals that is. Here is an image of Plantain. It is high in calcium so only a little of this. A few leaves or something. 1589837275529.png
Also Goose grass is okay. 1589837433850.png
If you want to, you can also give her stinging nettle. You might want to wear gloves though....The sting doesn't bother rabbits. Probably due to their fur. 1589837513186.png

I give some carrots but not much maybe a small piece every few days. I also give her some banana and apple which she totally loves but i don't give her much since it has lots of sugar. Sometimes she will also get strawberry when we have them on hand. If the reason you are looking for non-leafy foods is because you don't have any on hand, there are plants that most people have in their yards that rabbits can have. So long as the yard isn't sprayed with chemicals that is. Here is an image of Plantain. It is high in calcium so only a little of this. A few leaves or something. View attachment 47821
Also Goose grass is okay. View attachment 47822
If you want to, you can also give her stinging nettle. You might want to wear gloves though....The sting doesn't bother rabbits. Probably due to their fur. View attachment 47823
I knew plantago and nettle, I always have dried nettle stored they love it and she is not stingy when dried, actually has lots of vitamins, good stuff.

I didn't know goosegrass is actually edible, just googled it now, thank you.

I knew plantago and nettle, I always have dried nettle stored they love it and she is not stingy when dried, actually has lots of vitamins, good stuff.

I didn't know goosegrass is actually edible, just googled it now, thank you.
I didn't know goose nettle was either 😂 I knew plantain, but googled more. I now want to try drying nettle also.

I have so much goosegrass around, I can't wait to start feeding it! Mine get all the broccoli stems too, which is a hit!
I've just dumped so much of goosegrass a few days ago thought it's just some weed, I regret now! 😭

I was wondering what non-leafy foods you guys like to give your bunnies? I usually rotate radishes, celery, and green beans, but she’s been getting sick of them. She won’t even touch a radish or bit of celery anymore. So what are your guyses go to’s, and how often do you give them?
It's fine to stick with leafy greens. There is so much variety in greens -- from lettuces to various herbs to various 'weeds' (as @helena showed in pictures).
Green beans are a legume (just as alfalfa is) and should be given sparingly (if at all). If anything, I'd view them as treats. Carrots and fruit also fall in the category of treats. Just 1-2 tbsp total/day of treats.

I give them celery sticks maybe twice a week 1/2 stick per head, but never actually fed them radishes or beans, if she gets sick after I would just stop feeding her them.

I give them a small piece of a carrot maybe once a week, 1/4 or 1/8 of an apple without seeds like once a week, or some other fruit, small piece of a plum etc, but that's for treats. On a daily basis I use cauliflower leaves or herbs, cilantro/coriander, dill, fennel, mint, thyme, sometimes kale but only once a week or 1/2 or 1/3 of cabbage leaf also rarely if I don't have other greens at hand.

What else she eats, hay, what pellets, or you just feed fresh food?

Oh I never thought of cauliflower leaves!
To answer your question, she primarily eats a Timothy hay and Oat hay blend (oxbow) and she’s got unlimited amounts of that. And then 1/4 cup of Oxbow’s garden pellets, romaine, kale or spinach on occasion, and then I try to give her a piece of a non-leafy about every other day.
I always forget about herbs, those would be good. Celery was the main thing I gave her, I’d do about an inch long chunk every other day, but she’s not interested in them anymore. Green beans and baby carrots I give really sparingly, and I give radishes (about once a week, maybe twice if I don’t do other foods) because that’s what rabbits were given at the Humane Society I adopted her from. She tolerates everything really well though!

I give some carrots but not much maybe a small piece every few days. I also give her some banana and apple which she totally loves but i don't give her much since it has lots of sugar. Sometimes she will also get strawberry when we have them on hand. If the reason you are looking for non-leafy foods is because you don't have any on hand, there are plants that most people have in their yards that rabbits can have. So long as the yard isn't sprayed with chemicals that is. Here is an image of Plantain. It is high in calcium so only a little of this. A few leaves or something. View attachment 47821
Also Goose grass is okay. View attachment 47822
If you want to, you can also give her stinging nettle. You might want to wear gloves though....The sting doesn't bother rabbits. Probably due to their fur. View attachment 47823

Thank you!! My bunny is not a big fruit fan, sometimes she’ll eat some apple, but she’s totally uninterested in berries, pineapple, and banana, I can’t believe it. I get dandelions in my backyard this time of year. I’ve heard they’re safe for bunnies, but don’t know much more about them. Do you have any experience giving yours dandelions?

Thank you!! My bunny is not a big fruit fan, sometimes she’ll eat some apple, but she’s totally uninterested in berries, pineapple, and banana, I can’t believe it. I get dandelions in my backyard this time of year. I’ve heard they’re safe for bunnies, but don’t know much more about them. Do you have any experience giving yours dandelions?

Dandelions are an absolute staple and favorite for my buns. Totally try them out, just be sure they aren't sprayed! Nothing better than free weeds the bunnies love to eat!

Like @Mac189 said, they are great! Weeds are so helpful sometimes 😂 . It's totally fine to feed them.

Sometimes when i go in the Lidl store in their veg part they often have boxes that have had vegetables in and the outer leafs have fallen off ( for example cauliflower ) put the leafs in a bag tell them at the till you would like them for your rabbit and they usually give them to you for free. Also to save money I have started to grow my own herbs, they are really easy to grow too.

That’s a great tip!! I will keep a look out, thank you! I’ve been meaning to try and grow my own herbs for years, but never get around to it/: Maybe this year will be my year

Back