Goitre's (?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi All

I've had my bunny Twinkle for over a month now. We got herfrom an animal shelter and have no idea how old she is....anyway, I wasgoing to wait until I got some pictures to post before I asked you allthis but the digi camera is broken so it looks like the picture takingmay have to wait.

Anyway, Twinkle has a saggy bit of skin/fur round her neck - like acollar which the people at the centre told me was called a 'goitre' Iasked them why she had it and they said some rabbits 'just getthem'. Being the inquisitive type and not wantingto accept this as the only explanation I thought I'd query it with theexperts (i.e. you guys)

When she is hopping and running you can barely see it but when she sits'loaf of bread' style it looks like a big ruffle round herneck. The fur is the same as the rest of her body - it seemsto me almost like stretched skin that ruffles up when she getscomfortable.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but I just wondered ifanyone had any stories or comments about this? Sorry againfor the lack of pictures.

Rebecca x:D

It may be a dewlap... does it look like this...

attachment.php

I don't know who told you that, but they had noclue. A GOITER or GOITRE is a swelling of the thyroid glandin the front of a person's neck. It makes a large roll lookon their neck (you may have seen people who had it removed, they have aline at the base of their neck)......

It's a dewlap.

Yeah, I thought it was odd, I can see it fine.

Oh, and I think Rabbits CAN get a goiter but it's a tumor on their neck, not a skin fold like you describe.

Gabby would probably be excellent to answer that part.

However, the person said "some rabbits just get them" and that is the dewlap.

The girl who told me it was a'goitre'and thatthey 'just get them'was asaturday worker at the animalhome and admitted that she wasquite inexperienced with rabbits and her focus was more ofdogs. I knew myself that it wasn't anything too serious whichis why I took the rabbit and didn't push the girl into giving moredetail but I did think it irresponsible for them to dismiss it likethat especially if it had been a more serious problem which they hadn'tidentified.

I have no idea why I can't see the pictureAng - it's stillnot coming up, weird as I can normally see any pictures people post??!

It is like a roll of skin so I will take it as a dewlap. Thanks for your knowledge guys! x

Rebecca x

LOL! She probably just didn't know there was a term for the "normal" roll of skin.

Some have HUGE dewlaps and others none. Sometimes the females will have one and the males won't.

I saved that pic and I will upload it also, let's see what happens if we do it that way!

LOL 'Great minds think alike'... or is it 'Fools seldom differ'?! :?

I think only overweight males and some females get them. Maxhasn't really developed one, and thankfully neither has Henry, so hecan't be that much of a tubby!

I love dewlaps! You'll have to get photos Rebecca! I hope the camera works soon!

Ang xx

I too can see the picture (both of them!) justfine.... from the sounds of it, the roll of skin is probably just adewlap. Many rabbits have a dewlap.... I think buns with dewlaps are socute. It just adds to their cuteness and personality!

Delphinum wrote:
LOL 'Great minds think alike'... or is it 'Fools seldom differ'?! :?

I think only overweight males and some females get them. Maxhasn't really developed one, and thankfully neither has Henry, so hecan't be that much of a tubby!

I love dewlaps! You'll have to get photos Rebecca! I hope the camera works soon!

Ang xx
Well, we can't have enough photos of Elf on here LOL! She's so cute!

I think Rex and Mini-rex aren't supposed to get dewlaps in themales.... However, Pamnock said they might get a little "pencil line"and bo might be getting one of those.

I love dewlaps also! :)

Hi

I can see the pictures now and yes Twinkle's dewlap is very similar toElf's. Thanks for your help. Will get the husbandon the case to fix the digital camera as I must confess I'm useless.

I like it too - it never bothered me that she had one and she actuallyenjoys me rubbing it and I get the teeth grinding when I stroke thedewlap.

Thanks loads. xx

We had a stray kitty named Twinkles for a time. :) We called her Twinkie :)

I can't wait to see the photos of your Twinkles! Yep, get hubby on that!

I don't have any recent pictures since my camerais on the fritz, but if you watch her on cam (check the yahoo post)you'll see that her dewlap is much much smaller since I switched her toa higher grade feed--Oxbow Timothy Hay pellets.

Really? so she was getting too much fat in herfood or something? That's interesting. It seemed tosettle in her dewlap?

She's gorgeous. I would have to cuddle her a lot! :)

I can only guess that is the reason. I think Iremember Pam or someone saying that a dewlap can mean the bun isoverweight, or a dewlap that is too big. And yes, I cuddle her as OFTENas possible. She's often tranced in my arms at the computer or in mylap getting pets. :)

Back