Going to wean my rabbit off Alfalfa soon...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBunBun

Reaction score
My bun is soon reaching the age where he's going to have to slowly stop eating alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets...:biggrin2:

My question is, what is the best kind of hay for rabbits that are 8+ months old? I always hear that Timothy is the standard, but are Orchard grasses and Oat hay just fine too?

EDIT: Im also wondering if Botanical Hay is fine too? - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3135805&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

Most grass hays (timothy, orchard, oat, brome, etc.) have nearly identical nutritional content. They do wear down the teeth differently so ideally you'd want to offer a variety of grass hays.
Really what it comes down to is whatever you can easily get and your rabbit(s) will readily eat.

All those hays are good. Grass hays are what is important rather than legume hay (alfalfa).
Botanical hay is jut timothy with flowers in it, so it is not really any different than timothy but it can smell a bit different.

Latest posts

Back