Going to vet for first time questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morning_Snow

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I had got a job (yay!) and am thinking about bringing my rabbits in for a check up after my first couple of pay checks. I have never brought any pet to a vet before so I am wondering how often bunnies need check ups? Also is a health check up nessacary before I get a spay done? Thank you in advance c: :bunny22:

Personally I make sure all of my animals get a routine annual check up.
I would recommend taking your bunny to a rabbit savy vet asap for a health check up and vaccinations for VHD and Myxomatosis. While you are there you can discuss getting your rabbit spayed with the vet.

Hope this helps 😊🐰 x

The OP is in the USA. So vaccinations are not of a concern.
Typically vets will want to see the rabbit before a spay is done. Phone the vets you were looking into. Some may include a pre-surgical exam with the cost of the spay.
As for how often they need check ups? I wouldnt go unless something was wrong. If your bunnys eating/drinking and peeing/poopinh is normal its likelu unnecessary to go for regular checkups. Have the vet teach you how to check front teeth. How to hold for nail trims, etc.

Oh I didn't know that 😮
Do bunnies not need to get any vacs in the US?
I'm from the UK and we have to get ours done annually but it's quite good because they do a full health check up at the same time ☺️🐰

VHD and myxomatosis are very rare occurrences in the US, so no vacs for them here. They can occur, but doesn't happen often.

There are no commonly given vacs for rabbits here yet.

Yup no vaccines for rabbits in the US.
It's generally recommended that all pets see the vet 1-2x a year for a wellness check. As far as what's required before a spay, most will want a physical exam although some will be okay doing one same day. Depending on the age of the rabbit, some may require pre-anesthetic blood work and it's never a bad idea to do it to check organ function.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very helpful! I think since they haven't been to a vet I am going to take them in for a check-up and talk to the vet personally about the spay. That way I get to know the vet a little more on how they personally do the procedure. :) I also might take up the idea of bringing them in once year just to keep the records fresh/ease my mind. Again thank you all so much ^^

I think all pets should have a first and annual check-up, even if there's nothing wrong. Sometimes it catches things that you wouldn't have noticed until too late otherwise. Hope all goes well at the first visit :)

Back