Going to the bathroom where they eat....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbits are both going to the bathroom where they eat. I mean RIGHT in front of their food bowl and hay rack. They are a mother and daughter pair that have lived together ever since the daughter Bella was born last May. Up until now, I have never had a problem with them doing this. They were even litter trained for a while and weren't having any accidents. They have a big three-level cage that is as tall as I am (5ft 8 in.), and each level is about 3.5 by 4.5 ft. They are both only 2.5 lb dwarfs, so this is plenty of room for them. The entire bottom level has a typical rabbit cage floor with the wiring that allows their fecal pellets and urine to go through the wiring to bedding below, plus they have a litter pan on the second level. The two top levels are made of wood so that they have a more solid surface to stand on than the wire bottom level. Up until about a month ago, they were doing wonderfully with their litter training, never having accidents. Then, all of the sudden, they started not only pooping where they eat but also peeing there as well. For the past month, we have kept putting their fecal pellets in their litter pan, cleaning up the urine and fecal pellets, and putting the litter pan where the food had been (which was where they were going to the bathroom). That hasn't worked at all. They keep on going to the bathroom wherever we move their food to. They are both spayed and have been for a long time. They don't act territorial around each other. In fact, if they get seperated even for a short time, they get very upset and can't wait to be back together. They are fine sharing their food and eating together at the same time. It doesn't seem to be territorial behavior at all. I really need some help figuring out how to get them to stop this behavior because every time I go downstairs to check on them or play with them, there is a huge pile of poop and urine sitting right in front of their food and sometimes mixed in with their food. They just sit in it and eat around it, and I don't want them to get urine burns or get sick from ingesting too much of their own waste. Not to mention that it is a pain to have to clean up all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at my wits end here and don't know what to do anymore. Don't worry, though. I would NEVER give my babies up, even if I have to deal with this for many more years to come. I just don't want to HAVE to deal with it. I realize that most rabbit experts, books, and forums say that rabbits WILL NOT go to the bathroom where they eat or drink, but my rabbits are living proof that there are exceptions to that rule. Is there anyone out there who has dealt with this before or who can think of any suggestions?

Actually, it's very common for rabbits to eat and go to the bathroom at the same time.

I would put a litter box underneath their hay rack, and if possible, attach the food dish right beside the food dish on the wall or something.

When I was fostering, I used to make sure all food and hay was in the litter box or the little babies would make a huge mess. By keeping the potty and the food close, it minimized on the mess.

Now, not all rabbits like to eat and potty at the same time, but some do. They all have their own preferences.

Also, when you are cleaning, are you using anything to neutralize the odour? I always clean up pee stains with some diluted vinegar. You may want to cover the wood with something water proofed, like lino, it will make clean up so much easier.

--Dawn

I agree with aurora369, I would try to get a food bowl that you can attach to the side next to the hay and put the litter box under the hay and food. I hope that helps. I know how frustrating it can be when they don't go where you want them to. I have also tried just putting the hay in the litter box but my buns seem to not eat it and just go the bathroom.

I don't know if it's "good" or not but I put my kirby's hay pile right inside of his litter box too. He has a litter box that's about double his total "sitting" size so he can comfortably do his business on one side while eating on the other. He is very choosy about this too. He does not poop on the side with the hay but seems to enjoy eating and pooping simultaneously :biggrin2:

He's almost a perfect litter box user, so I say let him have it his way. If he wants to eat and poop in the same place, that seems fine. He separates the two things fine within the space.

I also have a "hay ball" which is like a hay rack but it's a metal ball that spins with hay inside. I attach it above the side of his litter box so he can sit there and yank the hay out of the ball. He sits there diligently yanking away daily :biggrin2:

Back