Going to Savannah....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I'm taking my hubby to Savannah next month for his birthday. We will be there from a Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Can anyone give me suggestions for fun things to do there. We especially enjoy historic and nature tours. We will be staying in a B&B in Chatham Square, which I understand is in a historic distric.

Thanks!!

I lived there for a summer, but I didn't get to do too much fun stuff. :(

The only thing I really remember is that River Street has some historical buildings and nice little shops (or at least it did). The historic district is really beautiful, with all the little parks and historic homes.

I love Savannah!! I lived there for 4 years and would LOVE to move back.

Really good restaurants:

Spanky's on the River (River Street)

The Lady and Sons (I think it's on Congress St.)

Sapphire Grille (It's pricey but SO GOOD!!)

One thing I always did when people visited was go to Bonaventure Cemetery. It's neat to walk around and look at the really old tombstones. There is another cemetery in one of the squares but I can't remember the name of it, but if you're walking around you can't miss it. They also have a nice piano bar called Savannah Smiles, it's off of Bay St.

What types of things do you guys want to do?

My hubby has mentioned wanting to do a ghost walk, go to the lighthouse, and he said there is a fort somewhere there. I think there is a harbor tour you can go on too.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions!

My Nana was there and loved it, she has been to a good few parts of the US and it was her favourite. It is very different from here, and she thought it was very beautiful and mostly enjoyed strolling around and looking at the different shops, she said there was some lovely, old fashioned shops and it was the most historical place she has been in the US.

Enjoy!!

I'm sure we'll enjoy the holiday no matter what! I think we will also go to a spa and get massages (and maybe a facial for me). I just need to not stress over the pet sitter, lol. Any specific suggestions are more than welcome.

Patti I was there in 2001 and it's a great place. We all went on a ghost tour lots of ghosts in that town. Also, go to the Pirate Restaurant it's the original place where pirates would go and shanghi people for they're boat. I also saw the ghost George that wonders around there. There's plantations to see and don't forget to grab some Vidalia onions.

Hey, Patti! I was there in May - if you like the tours, the Trolley tours are worth the money. You pay one price, the drivers tell you about the city as he drives around,and you can get on and off where you like. That way, you only spend timewhere you want. Also, trying to find parking at the different places is a pain, so this helps *a lot*. The toursstart atthe Visitors Center.

One thing we learned was that some of the drivers are better than others. If that happens, just get off at the next stop and wait for the next trolley. They come around every 5-10 minutes or so. If you get a driver named "Tigger" run, run very quickly..

We ate at the Pirate House and it was delicious. If you go to Lady & Sons (Paula Deene's restuarant) go early and be prepared for a realllllyyyy longggg wait, but I heard the food is worth it.

If hubby is talking about Fort Pulaski, it's OK, but not as good as Fort Sumter in Charleston. Tybee Island lighthouse is niceand you can go up in it. Must see: Cathedral of St. John the Baptist- absolutely beautiful. Colonial Cemetary is neat too - the oldest one in Savannah.

Have a great time! Hubby & I just got back from a B&B in Marion SC and it was wonderful!

Thanks! We are definately going on a ghost tour. Pat says that Savannah is supposed to be one of the most haunted cities in the U.S. I love the trolley idea too. Pat was specifically asking my about restaurants, so keep those ideas coming.

I think Pat was talking about Fort Pulaski. We visited Fort Sumpter when we were in Charleston in May and loved it. Hubby is really interested in visiting forts.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.....I'm making a list. We probably won't get to everything, but can always go back!

Just popped in to say we are having an amazing time in Savannah. We will be driving home tomorrow.

We took a private guided tour of Bonaventure Cemetery, rode the trolley around town, had a couples massage at Spa Bleu, visited Tybee Lighthouse, Fort Palaski and Fort Jackson. We did get to eat lunch at Pirate's today and the She Crab soup was outstanding!

Back