Going outside for the first time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
I need help everyone. i want to take Olivia outside. Its starting to get warm and I think she would love it. My husband and I are going to go to the pet store soon. So I need advice on what kind of harness and leash to get her. I have never seen a harness specifically for rabbits. I have seen them for ferrets. So do I get a ferret harness? They seem to small for her so should I get one for a cat. She weighs almost as much as my cats. Or is there somewhere that sells them for rabbits? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the right stuff for her

There are some that are made/marketed for rabbits, but they tend to be more expensive and some are not safe to use.
I would recommend an H style harness, a cat one is fine. This is a harness that has a strap tha goes around the neck, one that goes around the belly and they are connected along the back. This is one that shows what an H harness is. There are some different brands, but other than where the leash ring goes (some have it in the middle), the length of the piece along the back and the size, they are all pretty much the same.
cat_harness.jpg

As for my girl, she seems to be more comfortable with the harness ring type (what Korr_and_Sophie post). The one on Petsmart is also safe. Actually if the harness supports bunnies body, I think it's all safe to use :) I bought one looks like the one on Petsmart. My girl didn't like it much, I think it made her too warm, as it likes wearing a top :)
Wishing you and your bun a fun time going out :)

Oh ok. I didnt think about that. She probably wouldnt like that too much. Im gonna go with the Kate posted. Hopefully I can find her a really cute one ;)

I am not really a fan of the vest ones. They are harder to get a good fit and since the clips on on the bottom, you can have go under the neck and belly to get it close and most rabbits don't really like that. They are also more bulky, so some rabbits don't like the feel of them.

Some brands to check out are Rogz (only have the harness and leash set unless you are lucky to find just a harness), Hamilton, RC pets and Lupine. They are all cat harnesses and are suitable for rabbits. Check more specialty pet stores for them. If you find a store that has the same brand, but no harnesses, you can see if they will order you one. Even if a store doesn't have a brand in stock, then might be able to order it if their supplier carriers them.

I have one of those for my rabbits but they don't like it. The harness seems great and stays on the bunnies very well, but mine just don't like the feeling of being restrained (and my older one is actually afraid of the outdoors). Good luck though! :)

I got one just like the picture you posted Kate. Except it's plain pink. We decided to go to dinner so I didn't get a chance to take her out today, so tomorrow will be the day :)

I usually use a string harness and leash it doesnt freak rabbits out as much, but they arnt fashionable like the jacket ones which I also have

Willow modeling his string leash

118nb0y.jpg

you can see the jacket harness in the background

I bought the one you found at petsmart for Franklin my french lop. I put it on him and tied him to our table at Panera Bread outside. He didnt seem bothered by it at all except when he tried to go to far which is where i would pick him up and move him closer and he would continue sniffing around. He finally stretched out and relaxed. I wasn't sure if it would fit his big body but after measuring him it looks like his bulkiness was all fur lol. I think we got the large and it wasn't too small for him.

Just be careful with those harnesses. Buttercup chewed it off with in 5 minutes of having it on him. Gota second one did the same thing.

I'd go fora stroller to take her out for walks. Gave up.

Susan

Well, I took the jacket harness out and it was so much velcro. It kinda made me worry that she could get out of it easy. So I went with the cat harness that straps. We have dogs next door, and even though she cant get through my fence, I'd hate for her to get out of the harness and get scared and hide and then I cant find her. So we will see how it goes today :) Im so excited to take her out. Im waiting for my daughter to wake up so she can eat breakfast and then outside we go :)

I love the harness! I had to buy a dog harness since she is a huge bunny at 20 lbs-it looks like the posted photo. She is not a fan of wearing it but the fun of we are going to do helps work through those issues. She loves to walk with the dog. I hope your rabbit enjoys going outside!
13413_151128_300000001.jpg

audrinasmommy88- I have a harness like the one in the link you posted (from petsmart) and I'm not crazy about it. It was hard to adjust to fit and ended up being too big for my bunny (velveteen lop, almost 4 months, but rather big.. i'd say 3-4 lbs)

I have a cat H harness which is MUCH easier to put on and less constricting. I don't think my bunny liked all that material on him.

I also got a small dog extendable leash of 5meters as my bunny LOVES to run and hop and I can't keep up with him haha, that and my 'running after him' is rather scary and makes him run more haha.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0655435241597.409250.510686596&type=1&theater

I didn't think about getting an extended leash. I got the cat leash that matched the H harness I bought. But now that you mention the extended leash I'm gonna go get one. It would definitely be more fun for her because I did have to chase her all over because she was hopping around and she's quick. Thanks

Latest posts

Back