Going on holiday - Rabbit dilemma!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMe77

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am going on holiday on Friday for a few days. I have a house rabbit, and I am very worried about leaving him! He is used to being around me all the time and having regular company. He is 6 years old, but very robust and not much bothers him.

I have two options regarding his care when I go away, and I just don't know what to do for the best! The first option is: Leave him at home, where he is in a familiar environment, and a family member will come round everyday for half an hour or so to look after him / feed him etc. But then he will be on his own the rest of the time - something he's not used to!

The second option is: Take him to my family member's home, where he will have constant company. The only thing I worry about with this option is that he will be in unfamiliar surroundings without me there to comfort him and also he doesn't like travelling very much - although it's only a 5 minute car journey.

I am very worried about the first option that he will be lonely, and the second option about him getting stressed and possibly becoming ill :-(

I really don't know what to do for the best! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

I always worry about my rabbit being loney too when I go away. After having a the same thoughts you mentioned I decided to leave her home and have someone come over and check on her and spend time with her. My rabbit is a big girl and she has her own room which isn't possible if she goes somewhere else. I have been told she is very sweet and fun to take care of which makes me feel better about leaving her alone. To make myself feel better, I give her lots of her favorite toys and usually something new and different just to keep her busy. When I return home she is always fine and happy to see us. She is 3.5 years old now so we have left her many times.

If it's only for a few days, I would just leave your rabbit at home and have someone come over to check on him. Yes he may get a little lonely, but if it's only for three days, it's not really a big deal, just make sure he has lots of toys. Better than turning his whole life upside-down by moving him for that short time.

I agree. For just a few days, it will be less upsetting to him to be in familiar surroundings even if you aren't there.
It would take him a few days to adjust to a new environment and by then, you'd be back already and taking him back home just after he began to settle.

Back