Going on a vacation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior

Reaction score
This summer my family is planning ongoing on a vacation...the problem is that we'll be travelling byairplane, and it's impossible to take my bunnies with me. i've beenlooking all around trying to find a relative or a friend who's willingto stay home and take care of the bunnies properly. some volunteered,however i have a peculiar hard time trusting anyone with my rabbits. ikeep on thinking to myself, will they clean up right??! will they feedthem?!!? will they play with them once in a while?!? and have beenvaguely looking for a place where someone "professional" can watch outfor my little bunnies for a month of two. i've heard of dog motels (?)but never heard of rabbit motels. if it's impossible, i have no choicebut to stay home or let someone take over the responsibility, but fornow i'm still looking...any suggestions? or if i am handing over theresponsibility, what should i remind them to do??

hello junior, i would first make a detailed listof everything that needs to be done with your rabbits!!!! and that waywhen you ask someone to watch them you can show them the listand let them look it over to see if they are positive they can handlethe task of taking care of you little ones.

hope this helps sara

Junior,

You might be on the money with the boarding idea. My vet boards bunniesfor people who go out of town, vacation ect. You might look into thatand see if your vet, or a good bunny vet in your area will board themfor you.

Lanna

Well Junior, I had that same problem last winterwhen I went on Vacation with my family. I asked my friend Amyto watch my bunny and evrything went smoothly. I made adetailed list of poisonous/edible foods, care instructions, gave themsupplies, play pen, etc--including my bunnys faves :) Amy is mybestfriend and has pets of her own so I knew I could trust her with mybunny. I'd suggest finding a close friend or someone you know with petsor experience petsitting, but make sure to make care instrustions(withveterinary phone# and address in case of an emergency).

Caitlin

How long are you going for? I heardthat rabbits can live off just water for four days, I don't knowif that's true though. I've left Peppy at home by himself fora few days before and he was always fine when I came back. I put twobowls of food in his cage, both filled right up to the top, give him anextra dish of water just in case his bottle emptied, and gave him extrahay and he made it just fine.

But if you're going for more than a week I suggest you find a bunnysitter.

Hi welcometo the board! I have left mybunnies for a night but not forlonger thanthat,mine would need more water as they go through a water bottle full everyday and I'd be terrified of leaving them for longer on their own.

I know everyone hates pet shops, but ours is a pretty good one and theydo boarding for rabbits and other small animals, they have even had ourferrets and they do a great job looking after them. My rabbits got atreat as they where given dandilion leaves as treats and I rarely givethem. I am 100% confident that they know what they are doing and theyare well recomended by everyone round here. It is a familyrun business and they eventake their personal pets into thestore. Where are you from? I'm not sure if the same applies in Americaand pet shops will actually do boarding too. Just something you maypossibly look into. The list is a good idea though then whoever looksafter them will know exactly what needs doing. Is there a relative thatyou trust?

Good luck and hope you get sorted before your holiday!

Vickie

Last year my daughter's friend & her sistertook care of our buns.

Her mother is my daughter's Girl Scout leader. They watched them for aweek. Every day they stopped in and made sure they had food and water.The only thing they were not asked to do was clean the cages. They wereused to taking care of animals, but it was the first time taking careof bunnies. Since they were not used to handling bunnies, we advisedthem that it would be ok if they chose not to take them out of theircages and that it would be ok to socialize with them without takingthem out. I think we paid them $20 or $25 per day.

We made printouts for caring and check-off lists for the things to bedone for all of the animals (They cared for the hamsters, too). We leftnumbers that we could be reached at as well as the vet's number(including the emergency#).

The only incident was that one of the hamsters got loose. We found hera in a day or so and she earn the new nickname of "Roadtrip".

You can also check through the House Rabbit Society in your area for professionals.

I might leave our buns alone overnight, but anything longer and I wouldmake arrangements for someone to care for them. Buns need food andwater on a daily basis or they can get very sick.

junior, check with your bunny vet. The"team" at ours will board bunnies in their homes! They wanthouse bunnies to be house bunnies and not kennel bunnies.

They even bring them to work with them to play if they are acting bored or whatever...

If your vets office doesn't board like this, they may know a very savvy bunny boarder who they can refer you to.

I know what you mean about being nervous! We have tons offamily and friends here. I actually have family next door,some just 2 houses from me, etc..... but I don't just want someone tocome in and feed him.... I want him to have play time and not belonely! :(

I know exactly how you feel. Myhusband's father died last month and we had to fly down toFlorida. It was so hard choosing who to watch over thebunnies. What I did was I wrote a list of things to do andcheck on every day (food, hay, water, behavior, etc.). I lefthim the name and phone number of a breeder that I know that lives intown who knows a lot about bunnies. I felt better aboutleaving, but I still had to call him every day to check in onthem.

Junior wrote:
what should i remind them to do??
1. Feed them daily.

2. Check on their water and hay supply.

3. Treats every other day.

4. Pet (hold) them every day.

5. Check litterbox daily to make sure they are pooping and peeing.

6. Pay close attention to behavior changes and physical changes.

7.If in question, call me or _______ .

Latest posts

Back