Gluten Free...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gluten free foods are really very healthy. One of the most difficult things about being diagnosed with Celioc is the negativity- our mind seems to run constantly on what we can't eat. We've found that one of the most helpful things that we can do for our self is to sit down and make a list about the things that we can eat. Some of the regular foods that we can still eat, without doing any gluten free baking at all. Proper diet has to be followed for proper maintenance of the body. Meditation and exercise serves better for the purpose.

ways to lose weight fast

I've been gluten free since feb when I was diagnosed with celiacs... Going GF has helped me loose a little bit of weight but really only from all the inflmation in my stomach going away! Yu have to be really careful about GF processed foods like breads! OMG! They are SO fattening! I never eat bread only as a treat because the bread is like 150 cal. Per slice! It's def not somthing I would ever do, unless gluten made me sick! I also have friends who were further along in the disease than I when they were diagnosed and going GF actually made them gain about 20 lbs... Because they were finally absorbing their food!

As far as sweets, I've found a lot of sweets that I can enjoy, I'm moderation of courses lol brownies, cakes, pies, even cheesecake (I am also dairy and casien free) so I haven't had cheesecake in prob 5 years lol but it was really good! :D

I consider gluten free baked goods a waste of money for the most part. The substitute flours are often all starch and very little nutrition, so the stand-ins for the already unhealthy cookies and breads you miss are even less healthy. There's a gluten free bakery near me that I visit *maybe* once a week for a treat, but after many failed attempts to find a shelf stable, tasty, inexpensive bread, I have decided not to replace that in my life. I go without. I eat mostly fresh fruit and veggies, dairy, rice, quinoa, and corn tortillas.

Sounds like those cookies have the wrong flour substitute blend, which is incredibly easy to do. It's difficult to get the texture/moisture correct when the gluten that occurs naturally in wheat flour is what makes baked goods so amazing. I've come to accept that my yummy goodies will be few and far between. The nice thing is, when I got my bunny I already had a variety of veggies in the fridge for her to try :)

If one were to go gluten free in a natural way (unless underweight due to complications with celiac) the natural response is to lose a lot of weight. A piece of whole grain bread spikes your blood sugar more than a chocolate bar!

However, filling up on "bread" products that are gluten free, while they aren't as detrimental to blood sugar levels, aren't exactly good for you either.

For years, I have felt sick, tired, and cranky. I've thought about celiac and have tested negatively. I decided to go wheat free (read Wheat Belly, it will change your life) a week and a half ago and I am full of energy and my jeans are already looser!

On Sat, I went to a bridal shower and decided to "cheat" and rolls, cakes and cookies. I went home and the familiar bloat, joint pain, and downright tiredness was back! Now, I am very very very grateful that i do not have celiac so I don't have to worry about contaminantion at resturants and good factories or where wheat hides (like in some cosmetics) but I feel soooo much better when I do not eat that stuff.

But I understand that the textures are way different. The only gluten free pizza I like is from Dominos and I have one bread that i like, but honestly, its better for me to just find flour free versions of things, since gluten free cooking tends to (but not always) use all sorts of gums and processed starches that I just don't want to put in my body.

But, I can have crustless pies, cheesecake crusts made from almonds and butter and cinnamon! I haven't tried to make any desserts yet, but I am def trying that cookie recipie!

I just wanted to add that I haven't found it that hard. My stand by breakfast was a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana and a protein shake. Now, I cut up apple and use that as my "bread" with gf peanut butter (but I'm looking into getting a nut butter maker since most are under 50 and then I won't have all of those preservatives.)

Lunch if quinoa pasta (so yummy and high in protein) with grilled mushrooms and whatever other veggies I have on hand topped with blue or parmesan cheese.

Dinner is salad or roasted veggies or beans and rice.

I'm getting excited for my dinner now! And, since wheat is an appitite stimulant, I no longer feel the urge to snack. And, if I do, I'm good with just a glass of whole milk, or a slice of pepperjack or a small fruit smoothie.

I've had Celiac Disease for about 9 months now. It was extremely hard at first, and there were several times where I would start crying in the grocery store because I felt like I couldn't eat anything without the fear of getting sick.
It's gotten easier, but I still get sick on occassion due to cross contamination. Even if I order fries from burger king and someone touched a wheat product before handling my order, I can still get sick.
The hardest thing now is the cost of gluten free food. My family is on a very limited budget and I get $100 to last an entire month.
About a month ago I went on a date with this guy who is a nurse and he proceeded to tell me that everyone needs at least a little bit of gluten on a daily basis. :rollseyes
I can understand the average person not knowing alot of gluten free living, but the fact that it came from someone who practices medicine really threw me off.

Back