Gluten Free...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagPie

Reaction score
So I've always been kind of curious about the whole gluten free diet. So when a customer dropped off a sample of her gluten free cookies she's been trying to sell, I decided to try it myself. I've always liked trying new things when it comes to food. I love food haha. I'm kind of a sweet tooth too.

However these cookies, were not good. I did not know they were also sugar free. They were just bland and weird texture. I feel like I need some good chocolate now.

So anyone actually on a gluten free diet can tell me if these were just a miss? If not I'm sorry you can't enjoy regular cookies. :? I'm really hoping she just can't make a good cookie.

I have been on a gluten free diet for 4 years now after being diagnosed with gluten intolerance and IBS. I have gotten used to the 'weird' texture of the food. Although there are some things that it is more noticeable in. It just depends on what flour mix you use. That grainy texture is just rice. Although some flour mixes use things like garbanzo flour(which is a bean flour) so it tastes pretty nasty. Sugar definitely helps with the taste of gluten free food. I just made a gluten free pudding pie with graham cracker crust yesterday and I LOVE it, but my sister says it tastes funny. I guess it just takes time to get used to it. I love to bake and experiment with things, so I have had some nasty desserts and I have also had some AMAZING desserts! I mean gluten free pasta, you can barely tell is gluten free! The only unfortunate thing is gluten free is very expensive.
It's funny, whenever I feed Buster I realize that he eats gluten and I don't. :biggrin:

Yeah the pasta I could see not having much of a difference between standard pasta.

Yeah maybe sugar would have helped her cookies. I guess it doesn't help that I've never liked sugar free. Nor the coconut she put in them. I thought it might be me so I asked a coworker what she thought of them since she doesn't like really sugary desserts. She didn't like them either =/

Yea sugar is important! I can't imagine eating sugar free as well as gluten free. :D

In fact some of the pre-mixed flour mixes add sugar just to make it taste better. :)

my mil had surgery and had to have gluten free everything and no fresh fruits or veggies and pretty much couldnt eat anything...the gluten free snacks she got were good, but have you thought about trying to just eat more fresh fruit and veggies then organic breads ect?

Until I saw what category this was in, I though someone was trying a gluten-free diet on some poor rabbit. lol Their diet is restricted enough.

We have a local bakery that makes gluten free cupcakes and I honestly swear that they are better then the normal cupcakes! But I do agree some gluten free foods taste horrible but some taste simply incredible!
Jj

The best cupcake I've ever had in my life was a vegan, gluten free cupcake. Cookies...tend to be on the weirder side...but brownies, cupcakes, cakes....I find them all quite yummy.

Ooooh hmm good to know.

I'm actually not going on a gluten free diet. I was just curious.

You know, I've been wondering about vegan cupcakes... if they were really good or not.

degrassi wrote:
Some gluten free stuff can be gross but there are lots of really good gluten free products now. It just depends on trying them and seeing which ones you like.

Here is a fantastic gluten free cookie http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Flourless-chocolate-snow-mountains

Thank you for posting this recipe! I am always looking for flour less or gluten free recipes, especially for cookies. :D
These look really good, I will be making them soon.:biggrin:

I have the best recipe for flour less peanut butter cookies. All you need is a jar of PB, an egg, and sugar, some baking soda and vanilla. They are so easy and everyone in my family loves them!!

As someone who started eating gluten free at 20 years old, I do miss a lot of foods that you just can't replicate into gluten free. Like bagels, the gluten free ones will never taste like the ones filled with gluten. And I would love to have some tortellini!! I miss it so much!:D

I work at an alternative health food store. We have an organic and gluten free baker. Her stuff is wonderful! I wouldn't suggest gluten free cookies, but cakes...my oh my. Skip anything using garbanzo bean flour and go for kidney, navy or black bean flour.

There is a brand called Alternative Baked Cookies that is pretty good as far as gluten free cookies go. They also have a vegan version (although it's not GF).

Gluten free isn't really a diet to lose weight unless you have gluten issues like celiacs. I ate gluten free for a year and didn't really lose much weight.

As for vegan cupcakes, they can be wonderful. Surprisingly so. Agave nectar for the win!

If you don't have any signs or symptoms of IBS or Celiac's Disease or a gluten sensitivity, going gluten free probably won't be very helpful for you. Especially if you just replace the wheat based things you're currently eating with gluten free imitations. Your best bet (whether you want to do the gluten free thing or not) would probably be what Fuzz16 said: Eat more fruits and veggies and things that are naturally healthy and gluten free :)

I hope this post didn't come off as judgmental, I'm absolutely not trying to be. I have limited info in regards to what you understand about gluten free diets and it's become very much of a fad lately (please note I'm NOT saying that people with actual gluten problems are just following a fad!) and it is not inherently healthier than any other diet, especially if you eat highly processed gluten free foods.

I didn't get it that way SnowyShiloh. :)

I really wasn't trying to use it as a diet. I was merely curious as to what gluten free was and what it tasted like. I understand that people have gluten issues. For me it was merely a one time curiousity. Haha like the time I ate cow's tongue without knowing it. Never again. Very weird texture.

@SnowyShiloh, As someone who has been on this diet a while, I do eat more fruits and veggies than I used to since I've gotten sick. But every once in a while I want real dessert, especially around the holidays. I also can't eat that many veggies because fiber really bothers me. I am on a very low fat/fiber diet. I also suffer from fructose malabsorption and that limits my fruits a ton. The reason my doc prescribed a gluten free diet for my IBS is because most gluten free things are made with rice and it slows my bowels down a lot, it is incredibly helpful...

I know a lot of people that have celiacs disease and other stomach disorders and they don't feel the need to eat baked goods and only eat fruits and veggies. I always loved to cook and bake so I don't let my illness stop me. As for people who eat this diet when they don't have to, I just don't understand that. It is more expensive and it doesn't help you lose weight. In fact my sister is on weight watchers and most of my food has more points than regular food. :D

Andria, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of anything because I definitely wasn't :) It makes perfect sense to me that you would want a nice cookie or cracker or something every once in a while. I was vegan for a couple of years (long before all the vegan products came on the market), and I basically didn't eat any dessert other than fruit during that time. I would have probably trampled someone for a vegan cookie :D

I've just seen some people go gluten free just for fun (or so it would appear) and then load up on what is essentially gluten free junk food.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Andria, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of anything because I definitely wasn't :) It makes perfect sense to me that you would want a nice cookie or cracker or something every once in a while. I was vegan for a couple of years (long before all the vegan products came on the market), and I basically didn't eat any dessert other than fruit during that time. I would have probably trampled someone for a vegan cookie :D

I've just seen some people go gluten free just for fun (or so it would appear) and then load up on what is essentially gluten free junk food.

haha no I totally agree. I think too many people are eating gluten free for no reason.. In fact I am writing a paper about it in my nutrition class this semester:D

I am just grateful gluten free junk food as gotten to be much tastier in the past few years :biggrin:

I had gone through the post. The foods containing Gluten are leading for serious diseases such as diarrhoea after eating and the diseases like Crohns, Coeliac.It is our endeavour to produce the best products for our family members whenever their particular dietary requirements insist on a controlled and strictly monitored variety of natural ingredients. Our range of gluten and wheat foods is constantly grouping with more new and existing additions. Some of the regular foods that we can still eat, without doing any gluten free baking at all. We have to try it and then try it again and must not use a regular recipe by exchanging hours, Use recipes those are moist already , If we have any problems with lactose, use the recipes free from lactose including buttermilk rather than milk.

coeliac recipes
diet for coeliac disease

"So when a customer dropped off a sample of her gluten free cookies she's been trying to sell..."

That should have been your first clue :p:biggrin2:*Giggles*

Latest posts

Back