Glaucoma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui.vegas

Reaction score
My 11 year old bunny recently developed cataracts in one eye, the vet also thought it looked irritated from conjunctivitis and started him on an opthalmic gel. So far so good and he is going to see the opthamologist tomorrow, but his other vet thinks it is glaucoma. Are there and signs of this? has anyone had experience with bunnies with glaucoma?

My first bun, Sheba was a lop with big brown eyes.

Almost overnight her eyes became cloudy and bluish..I mean it was quick.

I took her to a regular vet who did some blood tests , was perpelexed and sent me to an opthamologist. She was diagnosed with cataracts and glaucoma and her pupils did not respond to light indicating thatit was pointless to do surgery .

her eyes did not show any irritation or infection nor did she have increased pressure in her eyes over time

No one ever told me why something like this would come on so fast.

She lived very well with out sight for many years after that . Since she was elderly she wasn't as active anyway .

Sheba had had the run of my apt (i was still in Chicago) and knew the layout well.

it is possible to have a blind bun that has quality of life.

Thank you so much for the reply. Cadbury was seen by an opthomologist today and she concluded that he has age related cataracts. There was no pressure or irritation behind or around the eye.

Michelle

He still has the best little personality, nothing seems to slow him down he still runs laps around me.

I'll definitely keep you updated.... thanks again

My 8.5 year old foster bunny is both blind and deaf. He does just fine! I am sorry your Cadbury is going through this, but every thing will be just fine!

Just a word of advice, now that he is blind in one eye....try to keep his cage layout the same (every thing in the same place)...this will allow him to move around easier.

With Benson, I have to slowly touch him when I pet him, or else I will startle him...most of the time, though, he can smell me first.

I am definitely trying to keep everything around him the same so he knows the layout. The good thing is that he is in a room with other rabbits (separated by gates) that he naps next to, grooms, and I noticed him sitting with them a little more now that he is going through this. For now I talk to him when I go into his room and approach him from the side he can see out of. He still seems very happy. Thank you so much for sharing your story, it helps so much to talk to others who are experiencing the same thing.

Back