Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himalayan

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this. If not I'm sorry.

OK most Flemish Giants that I have see in books, on the net, and at pet shope have floppy ears. I have three suposed to be flemish Giants (did have 5 at one time.RIP Amy and Coal) They all have strait ears. I have a friend that has four does and they all have the strait ears to. Also in books, online, and in stores they are a light brown or white. Mine and my friends are Black and dark brown shades. So my question is . . . . Is there different breeds of Giants besides the Flemish?

In the US, there are a few bunnies in the giant category, which I would call 15lb+. We have French Lops, which are lop-eared bunnies. Flemish Giants have "up" ears, but they seem to be a bit floppy on the end. I think that's actually a problem that flemish breeders try hard not to have. There are also Checkered Giants, which are white with black spots. Californians and New Zealands are big too, but they have a different body type than Flemish and are a bit smaller, I think.

In Europe, there are German Giants, Continental Giants, and British Giants (I think?). German Giants are the biggest breed of rabbits, as the world record one was around 25lb I think.

Awsome! Thanks! My girls all have up ears.There not floppy on the end either. I still haven't figured out how to post pictures but when I do I will gladly post a few of all my kiddo's.

The Flemish should have "UP" ears.

They do come in 7 different colors: Black, Blue, Fawn, Light Gray, Sandy, Steel and White. The blue is the same color as a Prussian Blue cat. The Fawn is a golden-reddish color with light cream belly and highlights around the eyes. The Light Gray it really salt and pepper looking, but has "rings" when you blow in the fur. Sandy is a darker brown with flecks of black and may have black lacing around the ears. Steel looks like a black with an even white flecking over the whole body.

They do have a different body type than other giant breeds in the US. The Flemish body is described as a "Mandolin" shape. From the back of the neck they go out at a slight rise before making a big round sweep over the loin and hips. ("Down ear" bunnies have a different body type).

Edited to add:
And they should be about 2' long or more!
hermionepose.jpg

I think all mine are deffintely Flemish's. They are all the Sandy color I think. Mya is lighter than the other two though and she has the black lacing around the ears. Shes my favortie rabbit that I own. And they are all about two foot long, and HEAVY! lol Mya is by far he biggest or the herd though.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Flemish Giants do not have lop ears...?

I don't know for sure thats just what I was told when I went to a few pet shops. They had some cages marked Flemish Giants and most of the bunnies were deffinetly a giant breed but they had loppy ears. I asked about them and was told that they were Flemish Giants. I didn't know any better.

I'm learning so much here! I didn't know there was so much to rabbits! I mean it was a hobby for m growing up, and this time I wanted to do things right, but I really didn't know there was so much to it. It's highly facinating and i can't wait to learn more and really learn how to pick good breeding stock what flaws there are and which ones can be waved a little bit and which ones can't.I'm all excited now! lol

Himalayan wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Flemish Giants do not have lop ears...?

I don't know for sure thats just what I was told when I went to a few pet shops. They had some cages marked Flemish Giants and most of the bunnies were deffinetly a giant breed but they had loppy ears. I asked about them and was told that they were Flemish Giants. I didn't know any better.
I think somebody else didn't know any better either! Flemish have straight, up ears.:pYou may have ended up with some kind of French Lop mix...those are BIG lop bunnies.:)

Here are my how my bunnies ears are. This is my best girl Mya.

Bunnies018.jpg

Bunnies017.jpg

She is a Sandy color with the lacing right?

Latest posts

Back