Giant Flemish ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvit73

Reaction score
Hi all , I joined a little while back . I have arescue rabbit named Lola , I suspect she might be a Giant Flemish -finally got some pics of her , couldn't hold her though , she doesn'tlike it . What do you guys think ?

Lol1.jpg

Lol2.jpg

Lol3.jpg

Lol4.jpg

Lol5.jpg

Lol6.jpg

Lol7.jpg

Lol8.jpg

In the pic with my dog , he is a 4 month old Sheltie - she's easilytwice his size , or more . In the pics with me - well , I'm 5'8" ,250lbs. - if that gives you a better idea of her size . So what do youguys think , is she a Giant Flemish ? Oh , btw - she has gotten a bitlonger , and 2 lbs. heavier , since we got her - I don't think she'sfully grown , though I could be wrong .

Have any other pictures, Luvit? It's kind of hard to get a perspective on her size from that photo.

From here, she doesn't look like a Flemish to me, but would want other pictures to really see.

-Carolyn

:shock: Ohhhh!!

Just saw past the first picture and My, she certainly could be aFlemish. That first picture with the roses is quite decieving. She'sabout the size of my Flemish who's 6 months old.

They truly are gentle giants. I love, love, love this breed.

Pamnock will know for sure what her breed is. She certainly looks alotlike a Flemish to me, but I'm not to be trusted with identifying breeds.

:)

-Carolyn

I have that exact same rabbit....same color samesize ...everything...she had babies 5 weeks ago! I have been wonderingwhat breed she was too!

Without a pedigree, we can't say forcertain. Maybe a commercial mix with possible Silver Fox --look at that coat! :) Silver Fox havebeenfrequently crossed with New Zealands to improve the body type in theSilver Fox. She may just have excessive stray white hairs andnot actual "Silvering" of the coat though. It's impossible todiscern the genetic effects of the heterozygous silver with that of arabbit which has excessive stray white hairs. The homozygousSilver is far more obviously silvered as it ages.

It's possible there has been a Flemish cross in thebackground. Commercial rabbits (such as New Zealands) areoften crossed with the Flemish for better growth rate in the commercialbreeds. She's not a purebred New Zealand black because shedoesn't have the commercial flyback coat. A Beveren mix is anotherpossibility.

Not an American. They are extremely rare and are a very darkslate blue or white (they also have a flyback coat). I seethem occasionally as there is an interest in my general area in theAmerican.

That first photo is stunning! She certainly is a beauty.

Pam

Hi, Flemish breeder here. I dont think she isflemish. Her looks just arnt right. Maybe a little flemish in thebackround, but I think she is mostly or totally beveren, just a biggirl thats all. Very pretty though. She couldnt be full flemish any waybecause the color isnt right. She is too shiny to be a black, and toomany stray white hairs although often times you get white hairs withthe blacks, usauly not that many though. The ears are too short forflemish as well.You should be careful with her in the heatbecause she is very large for the length of her ears. Thereis a 4-her in our county who shows beverens that look exactly like yourrabbit. Well any way they do when they pass showing age. She looks likefun rabbit though, and a perfect pet. My opinion is that she has or isa beveren. Looks like she is settling in well. Good luck.

Thank you all , for your replies .:)I'll check out the beveren rabbits , see what they looklike . She is my first rabbit , so I don't really know alot about thebreeds . Her ears are actually longer than they look in the photos ,they are 6 1/2 " long . She does look kinda funny when she's relaxing .:)I got her from a man who had gotten her for his grandkids ,they were bored with her and he was going to kill her . She has beenmistreated . Supposedly she's about a year old . She weighs 14 lbs. AndI swear she's gotten bigger since I got her . Don't know about the fur- lots of white hairs . But it's soooo silky andshiny . It rolls rightback into place if I stroke her backwards . Oh , and it looks a littlerough right now , she's shedding .Either way - I was curiousabout what you guys might be able to tell me , but I love her no matterwhat she is . :)

Btw - the top photo with the roses , actually I photoshopped her intoit , but I thought it was pretty . Thank you for the compliments - I'llbe sure to tell her . :)

Do keep in mind that the Beverens are ratheruncommon, so it's unlikely that she's purebred Beveren. Wehad raised them years ago and I have some friends who breed them.

It's difficult to get a good idea of her body type because she's layingdown. The Beveren have a "mandolin" body type and are low andlonger over the shoulders than most commercial breeds.

Here's more info on the beautiful Beveren http://www.beverens.8m.com/

Pam

My biggest rabbit is a New Zealand, and he is themost outgoing, friendly, courious one of the bunch. He is ablast when out of the cage. He lays down like in your photo'sall the time. He is so funny and pretty well behaved forbeing a stray.

You may want to be careful not to over feed. Follow thegeneral feeding guidelines for his breed and size. It is easyto over feed one.

Ed

She does , doesn't she ? :)Even funnier - the other rabbit in your pic , is very close in coloring to my baby dwarf !

I looked at that beveren site - I don't know , she really doesn't look like them , to me . Ears are different , fur , feet .

:)

Abby doesn't have a dewlap like that yet, and she only weighs aroundfour pounds. She's a Mini Lop/Mini Rex mix, so she won't get muchbigger than that.

She does have white hairs coming in here and there though, which I find adorable.

Chompers is our oldest rabbit, around three and a half now, maybe four.Not sure of his exact age, as he was a rescue. Obviously he and Abbylove each other.

I think it depends on where you live to how manybeverens there are. Here in Iowa there is alot but not many are shownnot sure why on that, just know that alot of people have a breedingline "back home". Whent he beverens are posed with their ears up andtogether they do kind of look like they have different ears than whatthey have. If you look at the pics of the bevs in the cages on the showtable you can kind of see that they do look like yours. Try cuttingback to a lower protein like 15 percent and see if that helps her tokeep her coat better, and keep a little more of the fat off.

Latest posts

Back