Giant Breed with Smaller Pal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samara

Reaction score
My husband and I picked up a couple of Rabbit magazines and were talking about various breeds. It got us to wondering if anyone has a bonded pair of rabbits that are totally different sizes?

For instance, a Flemish and a Mini? Or something like that?

If you do, how are they housed? Any complications? Worries?

Things to work out as you go?

Pictures!!

I have a bonded trio with a Flemish giant and a young English angora (5-7lbs grown) and a satin angora (9lbs fully grown.) I think that it could work out with a smaller bunny too if introduced properly. Giant breeds are usually very calm and gentle.

Our two buns are a Holland Lop boy and a French Lop girl. At the moment they are housed in seperate cages beside each other in the same room due to both being sexually in-tact. They are young and she is still slightly smaller than him, but they seem to really like each other. They are always sniffing at and "kissing" each other through their cages. In fact our boy doesn't even want to go exploring and playing when he's out, he just hangs out beside her cage. I can't wait till they can actually play and hang out together. His nueter surgery is tomorrow, so only a few more weeks.

I've heard on a few occasions people boast that guinea pigs and rabbits shouldn't be companions if only because the rabbit's legs and feet are so strong. They insisted an accidental kick to the head or body would certainly kill the guinea pig.

I wonder if those people would make the same argument for large and small rabbits co-habitating?

I have a french lop boy who is still growing at 8mos but his last weigh in was 10lbs. I am hoping that when I can retire my Britannia Petite Rocky I can get him neutered and bond them. Rocky weighs just under 2lbs. I'll probably make a blog about it as this would be my first bonded pair.

Samara wrote:
I've heard on a few occasions people boast that guinea pigs and rabbits shouldn't be companions if only because the rabbit's legs and feet are so strong. They insisted an accidental kick to the head or body would certainly kill the guinea pig.

I wonder if those people would make the same argument for large and small rabbits co-habitating?
They shouldn't be companions for a few reasons, I've never heard being kicked though. Mainly they don't speak the same language, and wont form the same bond. Theres also a matter of poop/dietary difference.

I have a flemish giant and lionhead (about a 7lb difference at the point, but my flemmie isn't full grown) who are thisclose to being bonded. :)

My bonded pair is a Flemmish Giant (about 17.5 - 18 lbs) and my Holland Lop (about 4-5 lbs). The Holland lop is the dominant fearless male. It is very funny to see the Flemmie try to hide behind the Holland.

I had the Holland (Binks) first and got the Flemmish (Fitz) later. When I got Fitz she was smaller than Binks so they bonded before she got big.

Latest posts

Back