GI/Tummy issues EVERY few weeks -- PLEASE HELP (depserate)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell your mom that your rabbit has GI stasis and if you don't see a vet right away she may die. One of my rabbits died from it in May. She had stopped eating and pooping. I took her to the vet the next day, but it was too late for my bun. Her case was too severe and she died the next day.

The white in the pee sounds like calcium deposits, meaning that her diet had too much calcium in it.

There is something you can try tonight and it might help, but it really depends on if she has a complete blockage or not. You need simethicone infant liquid suspension. It's for infant gas relief. If you don't have it at home, go out and get some TONIGHT. You will also need an oral syringe (without the needle) to administer the liquid. You give her 1cc every hour for 3 hours. Then you will give 1cc every 3-8 hours if it is still needed. You can try putting it to her lips and letting her lap it up as you SLOWLY squeeze it into her mouth. Or if she doesn't cooperate, hold her and stick the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth and slowly squirt a little in at a time. You just don't want her inhaling it into her windpipe. If she doesn't have a complete blockage this will help with the swollen stomach and help her want to start eating again. You could see results in 1-2 hours if it does help her.

The canned pumpkin you can use a syringe to give as well as the pedialyte. She needs liquids and food in her to keep her digestion moving so the impaction doesn't get worse. After a whole day of not eating, drinking, and pooping, she needs all of this tonight or she could die. You could try any leafy greens just to get her eating. Green leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro, wash them and don't dry them off. If she eats them it will help her get extra water in her. give her a bunch of greens if she'll eat them. If she won't you need to feed her the canned plain pumpkin every 3 hours or so. To get her digestion moving.

lindemanbunnylover wrote:
Yeah thanks......she is moving around. I took her outside and she hopped all over the place. She just sems less attentive to things around her. I have been pushing the water and I am keeping track on what she does (eat, drink, poo, etc) so far, she hasn't pooed since 10/17 at night and has not eaten as far as I can tell. When I was holding her on my lap today, she peed, but it seems as if she was in pain when she did this. The pee was white, but there were creamier chunky white blobs in the middle. Any ideas on what this is???She squeals and seizes up from time to time, in pain I think, and her stomach is swollen sometimes, and soft at others. I looked on the house rabbit society site, but there are so many similar cases! I am trying to convince mom to take my bun to the vet tomorrow, but she doesn't think it is serious! Also, she is worried about the cost since we don't have insurence on bun. Plz help me convince her that this might be dire before it is too late! And is there anything elce that I can do to make her feel more confortable? She doesn't look like the bun I knew just two days before! (she is 6 yrs old)

I'm sorry, I didn't know you don't have your own finances. There are people of varying ages on this forum. I hope you are able to convince your mom to help you take your bunny to the vet soon. :pray:

She is at a vet! She had bladder sludge and they are flushing her right now. Currently, the cost is 550 dollars! :shock:Ugh...no Christmas presents for me! it is worth it though for she is still with us! Also, they said she had heart murmur....what is that and has anyone had that problem yet?:?Now i need to change diet and get her lots of nice yummy greens! We are picking her up sometime later today, 6:00ish! I am so worried and scared!:lookaround

I am praying that she lives:pray:

I's so glad you got her to the vet. Yeah, unfortunately vets can be expensive, but it's worth it if it saves your rabbits life. I don't know about the heart murmur. Did they say whether or not she had GI stasis?

If the vet didn't tell you which greens to give her, you'll want to look at a list of good greens for rabbits, that are low in calcium. Here's a good site:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

lindemanbunnylover wrote:
She is at a vet! She had bladder sludge and they are flushing her right now. Currently, the cost is 550 dollars! :shock:Ugh...no Christmas presents for me! it is worth it though for she is still with us! Also, they said she had heart murmur....what is that and has anyone had that problem yet?:? Now i need to change diet and get her lots of nice yummy greens! We are picking her up sometime later today, 6:00ish! I am so worried and scared!:lookaround

I am praying that she lives:pray:

We've kind of taken over this thread. You may want to start your own topic in the infirmary, so that everyone can better see your problem with your bun and be able to comment.

UPDATE: SHE PEED-AWESOME

-SHE ATE-ALSO AWESOME

-SHE ACTING MORE LIKE HERSELF

SHE GONNA SURVIVE!

:bunny18:rabbithop:bunnydance::great::woohoo:pet::party0002::pinkelepht::pinkbouce::weee::yahoo::clapping::rofl::sunshine::wink

ancoal7 wrote:
Thank you all so much the advice, and PLEASE keep it coming. I am a first-time rabbit owner and HUGE animal lover, so I really want to make sure I am doing everything I can for Stella.

I am at work for the day, so have only be able to check in here periodically, but according to a family member, who is checking on Stella at home she has started eating a bit again and is pooping fine. The problem seems to be her eating especially the past few times. The first time this happened she stopped pooping, but the last two times she seems to just stop eating or eats very little, which to me indicates perhaps a belly ache.

I am definitely going to cut out the veggie and pellets for a few days and then re-introduce the leafy greens slowly -- are there certain leafy greens you would all suggest sticking with at first (I had been giving her Spring mix -- careful to avoid anything with iceberg or light lettuce).

And I will hold off giving her the pellets again until she is doing well and then slowly try to re-introduce to see what happens.

I also went out the store during my lunch break and got simethicone, which I plan to try if she seems at all uncomfortable when I get home.

I hope your bun is doing well. Keep us all updated on how she does with her new diet. I'm really interested to know if it corrects her GI issues.

ancoal7 wrote:
I have a dwarf/dwarf mix named Stella. I adopted her from a rescue about 3 months ago (they believe she is 1-2 years old, but did not know for sure her age). The first month she lived with me she was great -- she lives inside with me, she gets unlimited amounts of Timothy hay, 1/8-1/4 cup pellets per day, and 1 cup of dark leafy greens every 1-2 days. I give her a super small piece of apple maybe once or twice per week as a treat.

About a month after I got her home I noticed one morning that she seemed a bit lethargic and had not eaten very much hay or pooped very much, I cleaned out her litter box and panicked when I realized at the end of the day that she had not pooped AT ALL and had not eaten anything. I took her to the vet and they gave her medication to get her stomach moving. The medication was 3 X per day for 7 days. This helped, but about 1.5 weeks after I finished the medication it happened again. I brought her the vet, they gave me the same medication plus antibiotics just in case and this helped again. Now, its 1.5 weeks since I finished this last round of medication and it seems to be happening again.

I CAN'T afford to bring her to the vet every 3 weeks (cost wise, time wise, or sanity-wise -- I feel totally sick over the fact that she keeps getting sick, like I am doing something terribly wrong).

Does anyone know of ways to PREVENT this from happening and a way to fix it when it does without having to bring her to the vet every single time. The vet said some bunny owners are just at the vet every few months with this issue, which I think is ridiculous -- it can't be good for the rabbits to just wait until it happens if it keeps reoccurring. This is my first time owning a rabbit and I am desperate for help. Please -- any advice is appreciated.

How is your bunny doing? I also have a bunny named Kiwi who was going through some tough times with not wanting to eat and having decreased amounts of pellets. Jbun- another poster on her basically solved my issues. I followed her advise with trial and error and she's a happy bunny now. You can follow my thread under the bunny blog section. It's called "The lives of Kiwi & Papaya".

Basically I was over feeding pellets to my poor girl and I believe that was causing a stomach upset. She wasent eating a lot of hay because she was filling up on pellets. I've cut everything else out that I was giving her- lettuce, carrots and oats. I gave her simethicone for a day and a half with the decreased amount of pellets and she's doing great!

Talk to Jbun as she is very knowledgable about this topic.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back