GI stasis possible?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winggx

Reaction score
My 6 months old rabbit has been acting strange in the past few days. (Unknown breed, could be a mix of dwarf and some other species)

Friday night July 6th:
Acting normal, I cleaned the cage, cleaned litter box, refill food bowl, hay and water then went to sleep.

Saturday morning July 7th:
Realized that only a few mushy, diarrhea-like poop in the litter box.
And amount of food and hay seemed remain the same, high possibility that she didn't eat. Then throughout the day, she had some hay, some water, didn't touch pellets at all. And still producing mushy diarrhea-like poop.

Sunday July 8th:
Stopped producing mushy diarrhea-like poop, found some regular poop in the litter box, but only like 5-6... And still not eating much, she did eat some pellets, like 4-5?

Monday July 9th:
Brought her to the vet. Given some antibiotics...
After we went home, she went straight up to the 3rd level of her cage. (She RARELY goes there). She stayed on 3rd level and the same spot the whole day...
She did eat something though, but I have to physically bring up the water and food bowl to her. Normally, she knows where the food and water are located, but not anymore... And still no poop...

The doctor said if things don't get better, then I have to bring her back to the vet on Wednesday... Any advice of what I can do would be of great help!

Thank you in advance... =(

Was a bacterial infection found or just assumed?

I would try hand feeding canned pumpkin [without spices] or pumpkin or squash baby food.

LakeCondo wrote:
Was a bacterial infection found or just assumed?

I would try hand feeding canned pumpkin [without spices] or pumpkin or squash baby food.
It was just assumed...
And she stayed at the same spot for the whole night... not moving at all...
I have to wake up every 2 hours to hand feed her water...
I will go buy some pumpkin later and see if it helps...
And she is not eating her hay...
Do you think I should feed her lettuce?

I don't like that kind of vet. What antibiotic did he/she use & are you continuing to give her some of it? Look in the library section or do a search to see what people have said were good antibiotics.

Has lettuce been part of her regular diet? If so, I'd give her a little. If not, I wouldn't. If you have an untreated lawn, you might try to feed her some blades of grass, the longer blades the better, as a hay replacement.

Update:
She is willing to eat some hay now.
But she has been staying on the same spot for the whole day...
She used to know where the hay rack is located (On first level)
But she wouldn't go down and eat for some reasons... which I will have to hand feed her.
And she still doesn't poop...

Back