GI Stasis in storm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
What do I do I have his little but moving my chi will not hurt him but they case each other around the house. So they are doing that now took the one piece of brocli away wont add that any more took his pellets away.

About to sygrin feed him water.

What else can I do for him. He is not eating hay at the moment. I will try to get him to.

What caused this I know the brocoli can but he has been eating that for 2 months he has not eaten any carpet or his bed or anything he did chew on the pin for a little while. But all of those piece acounted for please help.

He is sitting like this

Picture031-1.jpg

His poops are real small and hard. Normally by 4 he is throwing his bowl around in his cage for more vegys. Not today he still had his celery and 1/2 of his piece of romaine lettuce left.This morning he seemed fine But I cleaned his litterbox last night and he only had about 10 poos this afternoon when i went to clean his cage and a lot less urine.

He has been moody the past few day when my husband picks him up but I figured that was the spring season up and coming.

At this point he is being chased by my chi I gave him 10cc of water I dont have a car to get to the pharmecy tell tomorrow morning husband at work. So I am doing everything else I can his stomach is hard he was fine yesterday or he seemed fine.

Is there anything else I can do.

If it was not from the lack of poo I would have not een thought anything. But he is a pooer

Ok this rabbit is going to hte the feather duster. How offen do I give water.

Ok I think I may have jump the gun or either caught it early enough that he recovered in a few hours.

This is what I found orginally.

He only had about 10 poos in his litter box and a very small amount of pee. which is not normal. He had not finished his breakfast either which is defently not normal. His poos that he did have where very small and hard. He normally has bigger poos not to big but about double the size they where and still are a little.

This is what I have done in the past 3 hours I noticed around 4.

He has had about 30cc of water orally. I pulled his pellets put fresh hay. Put fresh vegys down minis the brocoli. And cased him around the living room for over a hour.

This is how he is now

In his litter box eating his vegys which it is mighty late cause normally he eats them by 6 at the latest When casing him around the house he started leaving a trail of poo about 45 minutes after casing him. And started peeing not a lot of poo but some.

So did I jump the gun or is this common. By morning his litter box should be full cause he is a pooper.

And if I did not jump the gun how long sghould I watch him closly. And when should I give him his pellets back.

You are not jumping the gun

you are practicing preventative medicine

I have done this many times myself.

I would continue to syringe more water, keep him onhay and veggies at least until this whole thing is over:
the recovery is a process..andthe process is on-going at this point
you are preventing him from going into stasis

Ok thats good.

I gave him 20 more cc over the night. And cased him around the house another hour I could not stay awake any longer this is by 3 am I normally go to bed by 9 or 10.

I wake up this morning to still not a normal amount of poo But some a lot more most likly 30 or 40 He normally has 100 in the 24 hour period between litter box cleaning.

I will give some more water thank goodness its sinday and I dont have to leave. For job hunts or anything.

I will keep yall up dated I wont stop tell his litter box is full like it normally is.

Its ABOUT 9:30 afew more poos in his litter box and on the floor.

I am giving him about 5cc every 30 minutes. of course the one day I need the car husband had to work late. He wont be home tell no0on should I still egt the gas meds.

he is moving around more normally now. and has finished most of his breakfast. Which is right about on time. I cased him for about 30 more minutes this morning but i think it is starting to stress him out cause he was getting real mean.

So I am giving him a while to chill

I really don't know He is a rescue bun from hurricane ike. So I cant even trace his old owners in anyway to find out. I tried he was dropped at a vets office in the parking lot right before the storm. After the storm he went to the galveston humaine society which is where I got him from about 3 1/2 months later. Where he got fixed is the same vet he was dropped off at the vet helped me try to trace but we could not.

The vet that fixed him said he could be anywhere from 1 to 3.His testes had dropped all the way so he said he knew he was at least one but his teeth still looked very good. So more likly around one but as old as 3.

I think that you are doing the correct thing butdon't over do it as it will overstress him which isn't good. You don't have to syringe water every half hour but maybe every2-3 hrs and if he seem stressed then leave him. If you can get some pedialyte (baby electrolyte drink) he may like it better than water.
Also is he eating greens? is he eating hay yet?
If he is not eating hay get some pure canned pumkim (without seasoning)and syringe feed him some of that maybe 5 cc every few hours.
if his stomach feels hard and you feel that he may have gas just go out and get some gas x ( simethicone ) or infant liquid mylicon which is simethicone and start by administering about 1cc of it

Isometimes give a dose of bene-bac just because i know that it is good bacteria and it will not hurt him.

Whe a bun is like this you have to use your own judgement when syrnging him. If you are trying to feed him, hydrate him and exercise him all in a hurry that is going to seem stressful to him.
As long as you are off today just try to chill a little and take your time

there is no need to rush through things as he does seem to poop more when you hydrate him. try to relax a little and he will feel that too. be sure to pet him and talk to him while you are doing any procedure
it doesn't sound like he is in acute distress but it would be better if he ws eating some hay..if not the greens are Ok and the canned pumpkin.

does he usually like hay or could you get a type of hay that he does like

I also would offer a few pellets just to see if he will eat them as long as he is eating nothing but greens
this seem like a lot but fresh pineapple juice from a pineapple (has to be fresh) is often good in stasis cases. if you can get a fresh pineapple and give him some of the juice that also could help

But you don't have to do all of this in an hour ...just casually over theday.

Ye she is eating hay.

He ate all his greens Yes I have a pinnaple in the fridge I love the stuff. He is normally pretty chill during the day around 1 or 2 he will get a huge hyper spree and in the morning and evening.

Yes his stomach was very hard yesterday but today it has not been I walked to wal mart and got some liquid gas x.

I know rabbits cant throw up but can they burp. Like I have gas I burp and Phwart. Can they burp?

He is more regular I will go cut him a piece of pinapple I need to cut it anyway. So that way he can help him selve on his own. And destress a little. He is thumping to be out as I type He knows that he is out when the dogs sleep.

He does have more pee now not anymore poo at the monent but he is chewing on his phone book and playing more. So hopefully he can keep improving.
I will slow down a little I slept down stairs lastnight in his pin with him. I dont want anything to happen to him but as of now he seems to be improving.

I put 3 water bowls down one with plain water one with dyluted apple juice one with chrildren pedyalite dyluted with water cause I really want him to chill out for a while next few hoursI will give him some pinapple And get the juice for later on today.

Ok so I gave the pinapple juice nothing let him rest have done the fluids every 3 hours I pick him up and huis stomach is hard again. So gave him his first dose of the meds sorry cant spell the word.

Now he is running around the house with my chi again. He does not seem to bad right now. Besides the stomach no more poo any more. A lot more urine thow.

So I will give the next dose in a hour.

Yes simethicone 1cc and 5cc of water.

I bought pill form of gas ex and went back to wal mart and took it back and went to krogers and it is infact gas relief krogers brand.

He was eating hay but me and hubby went to get a quick lunch and to krogers which took over a hour it should not have buyt it did.

All his vegys are gone so he has been eating that. He is do for dinner can I give it to him or not. He is eating his hay.

He is due for the next dose in 5 minutes. Do I give it to him.

if he is eating don't interrupt it
it doesn't have to be given like an antibiotic at a specific time (simethicone) just let him eat and watch how he looks
if dinner is pellets you can give some of them but not a lot ..give him about 1/4 what you usually do so that he will continue to eat more hay.

you're doing a great job!:)

Dinner is vegys he gets them 2 times a day.

I put 1/8 of pellets in the morning and he eats them through out the day.I give him a little pellets.

His dinner tonight is romaine letuse, parsley, and sense its sunday a piece of cabbiage. Is that ok to give him.

I cooked the rest of the brocoli for me and hubby cause I think for what ever reason that is what caused it.

The hay he eats is orchand hay I have canned pumkin canI give it to him just in case. Better safe then sorry right?

Do I need to call the vet tomorrow to get a ex ray for a blockage just in case.

I would skip cabbage; matter of fact I won't feed my buns cabbage ever as I am so afraid of gas. i don't feed broccolli either but many members do.

The romaine and parsley are fine.

i wouldn't syringe the pumpkin if he is eating what you are describing.

What you can do is put it in a little bowl and see if he eats it himself

i have one bun that love its.
If a rabbit is eating hay and greens and getting fluids that's good

if he wasn't eating hay i would say to give the pumpkin but he sounds like he's eating better.

He is eating I am about to clean the pen area and litter box while he eats his dinner so I can really see what he is doing pooping wise.

Without stressing him out

Well I put fresh hay and a very small amount of pellets. He went for the fresh hay if anything is over 2 hours old he wont eat it it seems like.

He had a lot of those hard little poos. But I did see a few of the more normal looking poos in his litter box. So he is getting better put his dinner it was gone in a matter of 15 minute which is pretty normal for him. So for tonight should I stop the syringing water to see gave him fresh water and fresh apple juice diluted with water.

He only drinks out of crocks I dont use a water bottle anymore. Should I give him another dose if he is eating or not. I dont want him to go down hill again he seems to be coming back around.

Back