GI Stasis Concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So about 2 months ago my rabbit Beatrix got a serious blockage and was at the emergency vet for 3 days. She pulled through and has made a full recovery.

Then, about 2 weeks after that, my bunny Flopsy stopped eating one evening and only had a few small poops, but was still moving around unlike Beatrix who was very lethargic when she was sick. I freaked out as obviously I was still very traumatized from Beatrix’s blockage. I gave Flopsy Sherwood Appetite Restore and left her in the bunny room over night with piles of hay and some of her favorite treats such as parsley, oats, and digestive tablets. I checked on her regularly through the night and by the morning she was back to her normal self eating and pooping.

Okay, so then a WEEK after that my bunny Heidi stopped eating and just sat in a corner. I gave her Sherwood Appetite Restore and lots of fluids via syringe. It was a nice day so I let her outside to play in the exercise pen. At first, she just sat under the Hidey house but then began moving around and nibbling on bits of grass here and there and binkying. Shortly after, I brought her in and gave her more fluids, she started pooping and was back to her normal self by the end of the day.

Then maybe three or so weeks after that, Heidi stopped eating again, this time it wasn’t as bad as she was very active and had a few small poops. I gave her Appetite Restore and she was eating by the end of the day.

We went to the mountains for a few days for New Years and the morning before we left, I let Flopsy out to lay and she didn’t poop like she usually does and after an hour or so only had a few cecotropes. She ate her breakfast and we asked the person who was watching the bunnies while we were gone to make sure she had lots of normal poops that evening in her pen. She did have tons of poops that evening.

I have been really stressed and feel like I’m doing something wrong that is causing the bunnies to get sick like this. The only bunny who has not had any problems is Stormy and he has a slightly different diet. All my bunnies are 2 years or under and I have not really had a single problem with GI Stasis in the past. Nothing I can think of in their diet has changed either except for the change from Small Pet Select hay to Standlee. Flopsy and Heidi have been shedding and I’ve been brushing them but maybe not enough 🤷‍♀️.

Here is their diet if that helps:

Flopsy, Heidi, Beatrix…

1/4 cup Sherwood Complete Nutrition (blue bag) 2x day

Standlee Timothy hay 24/7

Small handful green AM and pinch of Organic Whole Oats PM

Filtered water rinsed and refilled PM and everyone has a bowl except for Flopsy who will only drink from a bottle

Stormy…

small handful greens AM and pinch of oats PM

1/8 cup Sherwood Adult Rabbit food Timothy Pellet 1x day

Standlee Timothy hay and filtered water in bowl

I apologize for the lengthy post. Just trying to figure out what is going on. Any help appreciated!!

Alright so I looked at your diets there, and Flopsy, Heidi and Beatrix's diets have no pellets in them. Maybe try like gradually start to feed them. and if they are under 6m of age feed them alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets. not feeding pellets can cause lots of other medical problems like bladder stones.

Hope that helps!

Oh, sorry! They do get pellets - 1/4 cup Sherwood Complete Nutrition (blue bag) 2x day

All good. Yeah, maybe its a certain green or food they have been eating.

I did notice their last bale of hay had some spots where it was stale and had some musty smells. I took those parts out but maybe it just wasn’t the best bale and it just messed up their digestive systems. They have a new bale now!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back