gi stasis again?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
got home from work & noticed my 4.5yr old mini rex hadnt eaten or drank anything & her stomach is sucked in. shes had gi stasis a few times. sometimes she has little episodes and i give her 3 doses of simethicone & shes fine. i'm about to give her the 3rd dose. she took 1 bite of critical care before. doesnt want the pedialyte. shes very shaky. ive held her, laid with her, etc to try and calm her down. i have some metacam, was wondering if anyone would agree that its a good idea to give her some? or should i wait to see what the 3rd dose does for her? im going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning if shes not better.

The only thing I've seen really knock out gi stasis are motility drugs (spelling?). They do a great job of clearing out any blockage. I think they're basically just minerals and oil. They lubricate the intestines and push everything out. Ask your vet.

as of now shes ok. came in my room & saw her eating the critical care then drank a mixture of pineapple juice and pedialyte. going to keep a good eye on her & well see how shes doing in the morning. seemed like a gas episode. i let my 5 month old rabbit out & he likes 2 tease her on the other side of the gate. she seemed annoyed with him before but now shes more peppy!

tiabia0 wrote:
as of now shes ok. came in my room & saw her eating the critical care then drank a mixture of pineapple juice and pedialyte. going to keep a good eye on her & well see how shes doing in the morning. seemed like a gas episode. i let my 5 month old rabbit out & he likes 2 tease her on the other side of the gate. she seemed annoyed with him before but now shes more peppy!

Glad to hear she's doing better! Stasis can be scary. I've been through it a few times with my rabbit, and each time he's come out of it (knock on wood). What I've done for treatment in the past included treating with simethicone, pain meds, some watered down pumpkin given via oral syringe, and tummy massages to try and get the gut going (I'd also give Critical Care* if on hand). It's also important to keep the bunny warm; and if there is no response by the next morning (for my rabbit he always seems to show signs of it in the evening) I would call the vet. Personally I tend to address pain relief first and foremost, since rabbits shut down quickly when in severe pain, and the gas which is causing the pain. As long as you know it's gas, encouraging her to move around might be good as well. As always though, check with your vet. :)

(One thing I also did with my rabbit after his last episode was to change his diet somewhat...no more banana, very rarely give apple, cruciferous veggies, no craisins, etc. So far (crossing fingers) it seems to have helped him with any stasis from reappearing. )

*Edited to note: Critical care is very important...the reason I said 'if on hand' is because I didn't have any on hand myself. :expressionless

she had banana a couple times the last couple weeks which i rarely do. i try avoiding fruit. she definitely seemed to have gas last night. shes eating and acting normal today but not sure how much shes pooping. i give her a pile of hay on the floor for when shes running around and right now i have to clean up the poops that already existed. she pooped before i left. then i left for about 4 hours and came home to nothing in her cage which is normal for that amount of time. she went in her box recently and had some diarrhea. ive been giving her pedialyte mixed with water. shes had plenty so i know liquids are fine. gave her critical care a couple times just to be safe and she ate her pellets this morning just fine. figured diarrhea was from the critical care and all the liquids. going to keep an eye out for poops tonight. she did poop when i took her in the living room last night and they were hard which was before i gave her lots of liquids and the simethicone. her stomach is back to normal and everything. not sure if i should give her more simethicone???

If she doesn't appear to have gas then you don't have to give simethicone again. I also like to give benebac (probiotic)at least one time when the bun is having an episode

I gave her 1cc of simethicone cause it did seem like her stomach bothered her alittle but thats the last time im giving it to her. saw a bunch of poops now & they look & feel normal!

Where do you get benebac from?

Glad she is doing better. As for the motility drugs, don't give her any. I heard that they are bad for the bunny. Can a mod verify this please?

I would stand by the motility drugs my vet gave me. My bun went into complete stasis for over 24 hours. I tried simethicone but it didn't work. Within 12 hours of giving her motility drugs, she was completely back to normal and hasn't had another issue since.

I know there are different kinds. My vet is the leading rabbit expert in the state of Texas, I think he knows what he is talking about, no disrespect to the mods but I would trust him over anything anyone says here.

Latest posts

Back