GI Satsis help (urgent (ish))

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aloe__vera

Reaction score
so this morning i got up at around 9:30 to be informed that peter (2.5 year old male) wasn't really eating. he's normally really hyper in the mornings when he gets let out to run around at 5-6, but he was basically unresponsive. at around 10, i gave him a piece of cabbage and he started eating again, went back to his cage and ate his timothy hay and also asked for more. i left, came back at 2 (my mum told me that he was fine at 12:30; ate more timothy hay and did his usual routine of binkying and trying to jump his way out of the kitchen) and he was beginning to get lethargic again. it's nearing 6:30 now and he hasn't eaten since 12:30—when i got back, he was huddled in the corner and kept on getting up and lying back down, but he didn't look comfortable. i did research on gi stasis—some of his symptoms match—and then went to get simethicone because it was recommended. we don't have a syringe and he refuses to eat the cabbage leaf i offered him with simethicone on it, so there's no way of administering it (there are no vets open at the moment). i massaged his stomach a bit.

with his normal schedule, he's pretty sleepy for most of the afternoon until around 7-7:30 pm when he becomes more active, but i'm worried that it might be GI stasis and there's no other way of helping him. does anyone have any advice on how to administer simethicone or experience on what else this would be?

also, what does a bloated stomach feel like on a rabbit?

The easiest way to administer the simethicone is to use the dropper that comes with the package. Just insert it between his cheek and his teeth (so not where his tongue is). Once it is in his cheek, he'll have no choice but to swallow it. This is a safe way to administer the baby gas drops without risking him choking which can happen if it is squirted directly in his mouth.

Latest posts

Back