Ghost is at the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicGummieBear

Reaction score
I dropped off my little girl Ghost this morning to get her spay. I don't get her back until tomorrow and of course I'm super worried and I'm praying everything goes ok. I couldn't help but tear up when I dropped her off. :( Her partner looks super bored and lonely. Wish us luck!

Maybe they will let you visit her, although if she is really attached may find that disturbing. She will be fine, this way they can keep a good eye on her stitches etc. She will be home before you know it.

Thanks for the support! I'm supposed to wait for the doctor to call me and let me know how things went but I dropped her off at 9am and it's been 7.5 hours and I still haven't heard from them. I'll probably call in a little bit because I'm getting anxious.

My vet also keeps rabbits overnight after getting spayed or neutered. This does sort of stress me out, but I do have confidence in them and have not had any issues with leaving them. It is mostly stressful on me as I am very protective of my rabbits and don't like them to be away from me, I have a hard enough time leaving them with my mom over night.

I would give the vet a call. You may not have heard anything yet as they could be really busy or just not ready with an update yet. Things do happen which can delay the surgery and the does delay when they are ready and recovering. Just give them a call and ask how she is doing.
When you call, ask when you can pick her up. They usually won't do it first thing in the morning as they would want to have time to check on everyone and make sure they are doing well. I do understand wanting to pick up sooner that later, but you also want to make sure that she is ready to go.

When you pick her up, make sure you get some pain medication. This is usually metacam, but can be something else depending on what the vet is comfortable giving. Whatever it is, make sure you get something.
Also make sure the cage is ready for her. Clean bedding but no shavings or other litters; blankets, towels or newspaper are best.

It is also important to not put her in with her partner right away. She still needs a chance to heal and you need to be able to monitor that she is eating and drinking. You can have the cages close to each other and let them interact that way. After about a week, they can have supervised time together but I would hold off on putting them in the same cage until at least 10 days after. You will need to be careful that they are still getting along as she will smell different and the time apart may lead to some issues.

Thanks for the advice. I did give them a call shortly after my last post and they said they have not got to her yet. A few hours later I got a call and they said she did great and is resting. They will call me if anything happens over night but she should be just fine and I'll be able to pick her up after 9am. I have a separate cage for her since a few months ago we had pumpkin neutered and we kept them close but in different cages for a week. I'm happy they will keep an eye on her over night being a 24 hour hospital but I can't wait to bring her home. Thanks again for all the advice and support from my fellow bunny friends. :D

I picked her up this morning. The vet said she did really good but is not eating. They gave me critcal care and she had some for lunch but would not let me feed her any for dinner. I'm giving her hay, pellets, and her favorite greens but she won't eat any of it. :( I have her normal bottle of water and also a bowl of water in her cage and she is not drinking as much either. I hope she starts to eat tomorrow.

metacam twice a day. she is still not interested in eating. I didn't give her the critical care last night to see if she would eat on her own, but she didn't eat and her stool got small. I had to give it to her this morning after offering her food and giving her metacam and she still would not eat or drink.

Pain meds are a good idea. Stay close to your bunny... maybe if you eat in front of her she will want to eat. It worked with my rabbit. Make noises like those of rabbit chewing, they help opening the appetite.
If she doesn't eat at all, you can also make some pellet slurry and give with a syringe. You can also use the syringe to give her water.
I hope she's ok soon, please let us know!!
:pray:

Ghost is finally back to her normally diet. She is eating like she used to and seems to be doing really well. :) Thanks everyone for there help. :) I'm so happy all of this is over with and she did really good.

Back