getting Whiskers to eat critical care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinandwhiskersmom

Reaction score
The description kind of says it all. We tried to feed it to him, and he wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with it. He is eating hay, and we've had some soft, stringy kind of poops. Any advice on how aggressive to be with the critical care, etc. would be greatly appreciated. He has also drunk some water, as well...not a lot, but he's not a big drinker. Thanks!

I have no advice to offer you as i have never had to feed any of mine CC. They did say that Sooty took his in the vet office really well and didnt fight them. I hope that Whiskers starts getting better for you

This is just my personal opinion ... and I know many, many people disagree with me on this subject ... but if one of my bunnies in this situation is eating hay I don't try to force-feed. Instead, I pester them with strands of hay (when they take a break) or try to tempt by hand-feeding soppy-wet greens. Or ... fresh hand-picked grass if you can tempt them with that.

I know lots of people have had great luck with Critical Care, but my experience has been pretty much what you describe -- especially with the original licorice-flavored stuff. I've had only slightly better success with the banana flavor.

You will be fine doing the fluids -- I'm the worlds biggest wimp when it comes to needles (actually turn green if I see one on TV) -- but I was able to overcome that for the bunnies and I know you can too.

Hang in there. It sounds like you caught this very quickly and it sounds like he is already improving. Sometimes all it takes is a trip to the vet (car rides have been known to help with gas -- think "mega-massage."

Kathy Smith

Like Kathy, I don't force-feed if the rabbit is eating on his own. It's a fair bit of stress on them when they don't want it. This is also what my preferred vet recommends- and he also recommends syringe feeding smaller amounts than other people say because he wants the rabbit to be hungry to encourage it to eat on its own.

He probably isn't drinking much water because of the sub-q fluids that were given, and that's fine.

Wierd poops are common when coming out of stasis. Everything sounds fine so far!:)

Edit: my only rabbit to willingly eat Critical Care was an orphaned baby, and even then we were flavoring it with milk. Apple/banana flavor= good, licorice= even more angry rabbits!

He HATES the CC...we tried to give him some more a little bit ago....and he is definitely NOT amused. Thanks for your encouragement. So far, he's hanging in there pretty good.

Back